Callender Bay Report

dheitzner

Out in one of Rob Hyatt's bungalows for a yearly trip, and had great success on the ice. Mixed bag of fish, including ling, pike, herring, more jumbo perch than I have seen on Nipissing before, and of course a good number of walleye(had to be at least 15 keepers). The guys in the hut next to us were putting the hurt on them pretty good as well.

Buckshots, Swedish Pimples, jig w minnow and Nip rigs all produced for us

Great service from Rob and his staff (as always) and the bungalow was full value.

If Simcoe doesn't cooperate soon, we will likely be heading back to stay @ "Bigwater"!

www.robhyattoutdoors.com

Darcy

Sorry, no pics:(

Mike, some of our group fish hard and others not so much, but if you are a decent ice angler you should be able to put some on the ice. We likely average around a 8-12 fish/day/person(walleye, pike, herring and ling, perch not incl.) A flasher or sonar is a big help. Fishing out of a bungalow can definitely be hit or miss, but we have consistently done well in Robs location, throughout the season.

In general, I prefer the run and gun approach but it is a good weekend on the ice with friends. A couple of us will likely go back later in the season with the machines, stay in a house, and run around the lake by day.

Edited by darcyheitzner

Buckshots, Swedish Pimples, jig w minnow and Nip rigs all produced for us

Darcy

What colours worked best today for you? How deep does Rob have his shacks? Is a Nip rig a red/white jig with a trailer hook?

We were out setting up the hut today. No jigging for us but we managed 1 pike, 1 perch, and 1 keeper walleye in 2.5 hrs.

I sent you a P.M.

Seems that the usual colors (gold, green, orange) worked best in no particular order. The shacks that we were in or near were in 20-22fow. When I say Nip rig, I am talking about a Nipissing tip up with a split shot, single hook and minnow...

Seems that the usual colors (gold, green, orange) worked best in no particular order. The shacks that we were in or near were in 20-22fow. When I say Nip rig, I am talking about a Nipissing tip up with a split shot, single hook and minnow...

O.K. Thanks. That set up is all we ever use unless jigging. Summer time lots of guys use 1/2 red 1/2 white jigs with a stinger hook and refer to them as Nipissing rigs.