MANUAL DOWNRIGGERS?

Markd

I am purchasing a new boat this year.. a Crestliner Fishhawk 1600 with side console. I will be looking at installing two downriggers at the rear.

I have used dual scotty manual downriggers before on a smaller 14' boat. For the most part they worked fine, but the fact that some of the parts were made of plastic allowed for quick wearing. Also I had the cable jump off the pulley at the end of the boom a few times and it was quite a hassle to fix.

I have been looking over some of the other brands, including, big jon, walker, and cannon. What are everyone's opinions? I really like the looks of the big jon Captains Pack:

( http://www.bigjon.com/store/list.asp?SubTy...mp;ProductID=34 )

and Gadabout:

( http://www.bigjon.com/store/list.asp?SubTy...mp;ProductID=31 ),

I like the fact that everything is aluminum... they look like they are very well built. ALso, they look like they would take up less space.

I will also have to decide what type of mounting system will work best. I still want to be able to fish from the back of the boat for bass and pike, and I want to make sure that the downriggers aren't in the way too much for casting. Here is a pic of the back of the boat:

l_100_1355.jpg

WHat are everyones thoughts? The gunnels are probably too narrow to mount the downriggers directly on top. I was thinking of buying a 12" pedestal base with a rotating bracket, and placing it on the carpeted area just inside the gunnels..

Much thanks,

Mark

He

No matter who you go with...I'd put a quick mount on them so you can remove when not fishing that style. These may fit in the back inside corners... from Big Jon

quick-slide-base-bj-small.JPG

and use the 12" riser..if that gets you above the gunnels to mount the rigger to

pedestal-big-jon-both-small.jpg

Big Jon also has these clamp ons that may or may not fit those gunnels

clamp-on-mount-bj-small.JPG

Salty has similar adapters

The interior of your boat is set up like mine,I use the Scotty 1060's and love them.I used 12" pedstal mounts that were made by Scotty.Pull one pin and the rigger spins in 45 degree increments for towing.the mounts come in 6" or 12" hights depending on the gunnel height of your boat.The Scotty's are for sure a one handed operation.Which makes fishing by yourself so much easier.122734.JPG122736.JPG

I have used dual scotty manual downriggers before on a smaller 14' boat. For the most part they worked fine, but the fact that some of the parts were made of plastic allowed for quick wearing. Also I had the cable jump off the pulley at the end of the boom a few times and it was quite a hassle to fix.

Mark

There was one model a few years back that needed to have a cable guide installed on the boom to prevent the cable from jumping off the pulley, Scotty sent the guide post paid, two minutes to install, done, problem solved.

Well markd i think you already have your answers there,what i did on the same boat as you is had an aluminum plate made and it fits right on one of the sportrack holders that came with the lund,i made the plate to sit on top of the gunnel and it works great i can also slide my riggers along the gunnel on the siding sportrack, i just had it done a few weeks ago and it hasnt had a trial run yet but it feels so solid and those sliding tracks dont have any play so it fit perfect,by the way i have big-jons capt packs and its a 4x4 mounting plate and it fitsa perfect,and will not come off so now you have a few ways.waynes idea[irishfield ] is a great idea as well if you want them to be in 1 spot ...but you might want to utilize the sliding track as we did so that they can move up & down the gunnell....i will take a few pics maybe tommorow and show you....for myself my buddy thought of it and man it was just perfect...so it should work for you.....anyway just thought i would give you another idea...good-luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: