Bird ID??

danc

Admittedly I'm not much of a bird guy, but these guys really caught my eye while out for a drive this afternoon. The greens and purples really stood out in the sun. I think that their feathers were probably puffed out in an attempt to keep warm in todays frigid temps and high winds, giving them a bulkier look. They're probably something quite common, but I have no idea what they are. Can someone let me know? Thanks.

birdid2.jpg

Pretty sure they are starlings. 2 species of the bird were introduced to Canada a long time back. At times they can be a serious nuisance. Some provinces and states used to have a bounty on this bird and crows as they were harmful to various crops.

Yep.....starlings. Notice the dark breast feathers with the white centers. They make good eyes for streamers quite similar to junglecock feathers that are no longer available. Shooting the starlings is great because they are pests.

Imagine if starlings, crows, sparrows and a handful of other birds had not been introduced to North America, we would see way more bluebirds, cardinals, blue jays, wrens, chickadees etc.

Edited by Dabluz