Breathable Waders?

DundasSteelheader

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is having a great christmas, I sure am! thumbsup_anim.gif

One of my gifts was some waders + boots of my choice to buy online. I have only ever worn neoprene before and they have been nice but very heavy and a little tiring to walk in all day. I want to get into the breathables as most people have these days. I am wondering what types you fellow steelheaders have and how they perform. As for boots, Im thinking something simms with the Vibram soles as they got rave reviews in a previous wading boots thread but am open to what people suggest for sure.

Budget for waders is around $200 by the way

Thanks everyone,

Merry Christmas santa.gif

You can get Caddis Deluxe Breathable waders for around $175 @ Lebarons, I think they have no tax sale for boxing week or something, I have been using them for the last 2 years and they seem pretty durable and well made with good features built in, I like them for the money,buy one size larger for layering up. Caddies customer service is top notch as well.

I am sure there are a few other makes within that price range too.

Off course, if money was no object, I would buy SIMMS G4 or G3, there is nothing better IMO.

As for boots, I have had a few in my life, foot comfort and ankle support is very important to me when wading or walking for miles on uneven and slippery surfaces all day, I finally bought myself SIMMS G4 wading boots and let me tell you, they are the best out there! extremely comfortable and warm with the best ankle support .

One word of advice if you go with Vibram soles, put a set of SIMMS “Hardbite” Star Cleats (carbide bits welded on star shape cleats), you’ll be glad you did.

Edited by stonefish

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I've long been an advocate for cabelas waders. I typically sell them to others by explaining how I worked in them, in conditions much more fierce than a steelheader could ever dream (from the alders of Nipigon to the thorns of New York State. I inevitably put some holes in them this way, but was impressed with the durability all around, and they were an easy fix. When they retired from work I started using them for fishing... 3 years and running strong.

When it comes to entry level waders, I don't believe simms, bare, or any other company is better than Cabelas. Same goes for their raingear.

I'll throw a vote in for the top of the line Redington breathables. A bit more money than your budget allows but if you can swing the extra 80 bucks you won't regret it.

Far better than Cabelas in my opinion and warranty and customer service second to none.

http://www.redington.com/S-S-pr-1839.html

Check out LLBean. If your waders ever leak they'll send you a brand new pair at their cost. Wading boots carry same gurantee. They also carry Simms but with their warranty.

I bought the rapid river waders which leaked after a year. Then upgraded to the Simms headwaters no questions asked.

You can't really go wrong with Simms, and their warranty is very good. I don't have a pair (yet) but I've yet to hear any complaints from any of my friends who wear them.

From my own experience:

I didn't like the Chota waders I had. They leaked after one season and, because they were closeouts, were not warrantied. They went into the garbage long ago.

I have an ancient pair of Orvis, bootfoot, Silver labels which I revere. They are ultra breathable, to this day (got them in 2003) and, though they've required the odd squirt of aquaseal here and there over the years, are firmly in the "can't complain" genre since I bought them for less than 150$.

My current pair are Dan Bailey's guide waders, which I love. They are probably not as breathable as Simms Headwaters or Freestones, but they make up for it in the awesome zipper. It has never leaked - unless I needed to :lol: - even in the deepest water. They are usually a more expensive item, but I bought them lightly used from a guide in Montana for again under 150$ on ebay. I lucked out with these, big time. I paired them up with the top of the line Dan Bailey's boots, but those have been a mild disappointment. They tend to let in too much silt, and after just under 3 years of at most medium use are already going the way of the dodo. I'll ante up for a pair of Simms Headwaters I think, as their replacement. They have the vibram sole (not felt) and you can get cleats for 'em. Plus, they have a neoprene inner which makes them easier to get in and out of.

p.-

Don't blame you for wanting breathable. When I was a young lad of 18 I once ate a can of brown beans, then went skiing in k-way pants. Apparently k-ways are not breathable. When I took them off at the "apres-ski" party 3 people fainted and a dog puked. The pants had to be put down.