Please need some input!

Pguzik

Hi guys need some help. Looking to buy a vex fl20 or marcum lx5. Im not interested i the lx-7 as it is toooo new and all computer

I have a Marcum 826sd and like the over all finish.

Ive used a vex but never a marcum flasher. I liked the flat screen on vex. I have read the Marcum has crisper detail of lines.

Any opinion would be appreciated especially if you have used both units.

Cheers guys

WP

I understand the LX5 uses 2 chrystals for the 2 different frequencies in it's transducer, while I think the Vex only uses 1 chrystal. I've read that when only 1 chrystal used for both frequencies, the secondary frequency is not as 'clean' a signal. Whether it'll have much impact on finding the fish I couldn't tell you. Hopefully someone else can elabrate a little more.

Was looking at the LX5 last year, but ended up liking/buying the Humminbird ICE 385Ci combo.

I used a FL8 SE for several years . . . . loved it. Then came the FL-12 . . . . FL-18 . . . . when the FL-20 hit the stores, I couldn't resist the urge to 'keep up with the Jonses.' Well the FL20 is nice, but I'm afraid I liked the ol' FL-8 SE just as well. The only real complaint I have about the FL-20 . . . . . too many numbers jammed into that small screen, gotta put my reading glasses on to read 'em! If ya got good eyes, I think you'll be VERY happy with an FL-20. One other potentially troublesome thing with a Marcum . . . . . I set up about 50' away from one . . . . my Vex gave him a lotta interferance, I had to move a bit more to allow him to fish? Apparently the Vex will interfere with other flashers too? I'd check that out before plunkin' my money down.

I used a FL8 SE for several years . . . . loved it. Then came the FL-12 . . . . FL-18 . . . . when the FL-20 hit the stores, I couldn't resist the urge to 'keep up with the Jonses.' Well the FL20 is nice, but I'm afraid I liked the ol' FL-8 SE just as well. The only real complaint I have about the FL-20 . . . . . too many numbers jammed into that small screen, gotta put my reading glasses on to read 'em! If ya got good eyes, I think you'll be VERY happy with an FL-20. One other potentially troublesome thing with a Marcum . . . . . I set up about 50' away from one . . . . my Vex gave him a lotta interferance, I had to move a bit more to allow him to fish? Apparently the Vex will interfere with other flashers too? I'd check that out before plunkin' my money down.

The guy probably had no idea how to use his IR on his Marcum. :rolleyes: