Aquarium Plant Question

dsn

For those who have planted aquariums what do you do when your plants reach the top of the tank and start to bend and go across the

top of the water surface blocking other plants from recieving light?

1) Yank them out from thier roots and cut a good chunk off from the bottom and re-plant it ?

2) Cut the plant in the mid section and re-pant the top. And watch the other have grow into two plants ?

3) Toss the plant out ?

Here's the tank.

It's Basically the water sprite growing so fast. I have no CO2 system and no substrate just good old fine gravel. But the roots have taken hold of the

gravel bed and the sponge filter. I plan to burry the sponge filter with plants.clapping.gif

Only wish my Java fern and crypts would grow as fast as the water sprite.

IMG1279.jpg

There are fish in there too. Just not as much. Will be slowly introducing them. Whenever they go on sale.laugh.gif

So any suggestions on the over grown water sprite?

Thanks,

karper

Edited by karper

Let the trimming begin!

That plant growing all big and ushy, I think is called hygro. Great plant, but grows very, very fast.

The ones on the bottom left are amazon swords? You may have them loose their leaves, but not to worry, its part of adjusting to your tank.

That wrinkled ones I think are Java ferns? Very good growing in low light and can handle a lot of stress, but very slow growing.

As a previous post stated, trim back. Unless you want them growing out the tank and flowering, which I dont recommend, you need light reaching the swords.

I see you have an aqurium sponge as your filter? Is that all? If it is, I suggest you do not add many more fish, your plants will do a fantastic job of filtering, but cannot handle a big bio load. A couple more tetras would be okay to add, like neons, but wat for the tank to establish a bit, it still looks mighty young :)

Maybe throw in a little corydora, or some type of algae eater, but make sure it gets food at the bottom.

If you have any questions, message me, I'll help with what I can. :santa:

You can trim it, just pick a good spot (for looks). Or what I usually do is rip it out, trim the bottom off and plant the tops back into you tank at desired length. I plant my clippings that I want more of in my small breader tank.

Are you new to planted aquariums? If that is your first one then you might want to reconsider your plants. They will all eventually grow out of controll and need constant maintaining if given proper lighting. Given your set up those are good plants for your tank. Since you covered them across the bottom though I'm thinking you might be interested in carpeting plants like baby tears, but then you will have to consider co2, a change of filter, possibly upgrading your lighting system and, a good substrate.

If your around Oshawa sometime soon I have some phantom tetras and about a dozen white cloud tetras you can have.

Good luck Karper. Live plants always frustrated me. I always find it hard enough keeping my fish healthy never mind worrying about the plants as well! lol

That's why have artificial plants in my aquarium now. I must say, I love artificials now because they do look very real.

Because artifical plants make tank care is much easier, I find I clean my tank and do water changes more often( which in the end is better for my fish ).

Answer to your question: trim the plants.

Coolest fish are sometimes free! The one below came out of Penetang bay on labour day and is going strong. Coolest pet! Like a puppy. When you walk up to the tank it comes right up excited. Its really aggressive and lively. Takes worms from your hand. Eats freeze dried krill, worms, crickets, and the odd guppy (cruel I know). Its getting a bit big for the tank (30gal) but its thriving for now.

DSC_0623.jpg

For those who have planted aquariums what do you do when your plants reach the top of the tank and start to bend and go across the

top of the water surface blocking other plants from recieving light?

1) Yank them out from thier roots and cut a good chunk off from the bottom and re-plant it ?

2) Cut the plant in the mid section and re-pant the top. And watch the other have grow into two plants ?

3) Toss the plant out ?

Here's the tank.

It's Basically the water sprite growing so fast. I have no CO2 system and no substrate just good old fine gravel. But the roots have taken hold of the

gravel bed and the sponge filter. I plan to burry the sponge filter with plants.clapping.gif

Only wish my Java fern and crypts would grow as fast as the water sprite.

IMG1279.jpg

There are fish in there too. Just not as much. Will be slowly introducing them. Whenever they go on sale.laugh.gif

So any suggestions on the over grown water sprite?

Thanks,

karper

Aquarium looks good and healthy. As long as you are growing plants with let the light penetrate through to the other plants like the water sprite your growing everything should be fine. If things get to choked up just trim them like the others have suggested. Some of the most beautiful tanks I've seen had thick lush plant growth throughout.

Check out the set ups in this link

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/gallery.html