Thank you Brian!!

NAW

I moved in to my new house a few weeks ago. The previous owners had a steel barrel that they used to burn stuff in. I thought it was a great idea. But they took it with them when they moved :dunno:

I've been trying to find a free barrel, but the best I could find was $50 from Barrie Metals.

This weekend, Brian hooked me up with a free one!!

And my timing was perfect too. When I went to pick it up, Brian had just finished cooking dinner, and offered me some. Man, that was some of the best tasting seafood linguine I've ever had. :thumbsup_anim: Lobster, Shrimp, Alfredo sauce...Mouth watering!!

Thanks again Brian!

DSC02550.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

Thats awsome Nick and nice of Brian sharing for sure , heres some thing to keep in mind for the future when it come to the out door burning , there is a bylaw about open flame but what really blows it out of the water is , next time you need a new barrel because they only last for a season , grab a 250 gallon home oil tank , this is what we like to use out here now , it stands on three patio stones , large door cut into the one end with hinges , and a good peice of 8 or 10 " pipe three feet high one the other end for a chimney with a rain cap on it , thus no more open flame to worrie about , take a look at mine some time if you like , its been in the back yard since 2004 and in another year or so it will need replacing , any how sorry to bud in on your thread .......... Ron

Edited by Skipper " D "

there is a bylaw about open flame

Thanks Ron, I assumed cuz I'm in the country, that I can do what ever i want. I'll read up on the bi-laws.

Don't leave that beer so close to the fire next time :o;):lol:

Leechman

They don't last long enough to get warm! ;)

Edited by N.A.W

And my timing was perfect too. When I went to pick it up, Brian had just finished cooking dinner, and offered me some. Man, that was some of the best tasting seafood linguine I've ever had. Lobster, Shrimp, Alfredo sauce...Mouth watering!!

Ya should of dropped in yesterday aswell.It was jigs dinner night. :canadian:

No worries.If ya need another Nick, I got one here.

They don't last long enough to get warm

Aint that the truth.LMAO

Edited by Misfish

I just got off the phone with the local fire department.

I do need a permit, and it is free. Thanks for the reminder guys!

In my area, I'm allowed to have "recreational fires" as long as my pit is 2' x 2' or smaller, and I burn clean wood, or nothing that will make excessive smoke.

Good to know.

What happens some times is passer bys see a flame then right away calls 911 , a few have been fined in the past this way in spring water for no permit when they show up . Yer safe now . Want to make the burning barrel last longer , try to keep some sort of a lid on it , to keep the weather out when its not in use ................... Happy burning .

Want to make the burning barrel last longer , try to keep some sort of a lid on it , to keep the weather out when its not in use ................... Happy burning .

Thanks Ron, that's a great idea :thumbsup_anim:

Would also be good for snuffing the fire out if need be.

Also a note for other Springwater dwellers.. The new fire permits for 2012 are available now..

We used a burn barrel for many years..If you want to make it last longer and burn faster do the following..Get 2 pcs of 3x3 angle iron slightly longer then the barrel is wide. Set the angle iron on the ground so that the pointed end is up. Then take a pick axe and punch about 10 , 1 inch holes in the barrel on the side at the bottom all the way around. Then set the barrel on the angle iron. Water can drain out and when you burn the air can get under the barrel and things burn much hotter and quicker. Our barrels would last for many years this way..Also yes a lid is recommended too. If none available we just used a piece of plywood. We would never burn our barrel until it was almost full..This was long before recycling was available so everything that could burn went into it..Kind of nasty when I think about what got burnt.. :wallbash:

Happy barrel bashing, many a good beer will go down there...

Edited by tb4me

I was thinking about holes in the bottom. Let some air in.

What about holes in the side..? will it let a little more heat out?

It will keep the smokers warm at my new years eve / house warming party!