First Ice Fishing Trip

Rod Caster

My Dad and I went for a Saturday backroad and backlake trip today and found a solid 3 inches of ice on a small lake. I was very deliberate at first, punching holes every 3feet, with a rope at arms length. We threw large rocks on the surface and jumped around but the ice was solid and did not crack at all....so we fished thumbsup_anim.gif Usually I catch smallmouth bass hand over fist at this lake but this time was different. All I got was one small lake trout which was released. I'll wait a for another inch or two before I start looking for bass in the open water. Anyone have suggestions on where to look for bass in early winter?

untitled.jpg

NobleLakefirstice.jpg

NobleLakeDec102011.jpg

First fish for ya through the ice this season!!clapping.gif Nice!!

Whats the green thing hanging around your neck?dunno.gif

Thanks Paul. Those are my icepicks... just incase.

You are more gutsy them me w00t.gif I'd never set foot on ice if a rope was needed to feel secure blink.gif

Haha. I was being over-precausious at first. I was more comfortable after I realized the large black spots were actually solid ice. w00t.gif

I might just be up to Temagami early next week to check out the progress on the boat plant, might have to bring some fishing gear

It's been colder north of Marten River than it has been in NBay... should be a fair amount of ice in Temag by next week.