fishing holguin cuba

richyb

The wife and I are finally going on our honeymoon after a year and a half. We are going to some resort in holguin cuba. It says that deep sea fishing is included with the package so that perked my intrest a little bit. Has anyone ever fished down there? can I expect to catch anything of any size or will it mostly be pan fish sized fish of different colours?

I'll be watching this post with interest as I had the same question.

I'm bringing the family down 3rd week in January.

If you're going later in the winter I can give you some first hand info.

We are leaving this saturday dec 3rd.

Definitly bring your own gear. Id bring a med set up for catching bait, and a med heavy, to heavy set up for everything else. There is a lot of shore fishing down there, mostly from bridges, but from what I understand there is some new legislation with regards to fishing in the area.....I"m not sure about that.

I went out on the hobie cats, paid the guy 10 pesos and we trolled all morning. Mostly cuda's, but some guys get bigger stuff. Big Xraps, Yozuris's and the likes worked for me. Ghost colour was the best for me, but I also got some on clown Xraps.

If you can still fish the bridges, get some shrimp from the kitchen to use as bait, and set up a bait rig with slip sinker, and have atter. We hammered the yellow tails, and some other type of snapper when we were there. It was loads of fun. They fight hard for their size.

I'd bring a selection of hooks and weights of various sizes, as well as some topwater, and diving plugs.

When I went, I brought a few spools of cheap line with me. You know, the canadian tire brand, 300yd spools. I brought 20, 30 and 40lb test. I gave it to the locals, as well as a bunch of cheap hooks and weights, and they hooked me up bigtime with places to fish, and even took me out at night, shorefishing, where they catch tarpon. I never did get one, but guys around me did...some of them were HUGE! I also gave them all the fish I did catch, which they seemed to REALLY appreciate!!

Good luck!

S.

Fished near Cayo Coco a few years back. Went on a cheap charter for an afternoon, and landed a bunch of Barracuda, big red snapper, dorado, and gatefish. Was a blast, and Cuba is an amazing spot to fish, with good numbers and variety. ( if u bring your own gear, prob better off with a heavier setup.... Never know what you hook into there). Good luck!

Definitly bring your own gear. Id bring a med set up for catching bait, and a med heavy, to heavy set up for everything else. There is a lot of shore fishing down there, mostly from bridges, but from what I understand there is some new legislation with regards to fishing in the area.....I"m not sure about that.

I went out on the hobie cats, paid the guy 10 pesos and we trolled all morning. Mostly cuda's, but some guys get bigger stuff. Big Xraps, Yozuris's and the likes worked for me. Ghost colour was the best for me, but I also got some on clown Xraps.

If you can still fish the bridges, get some shrimp from the kitchen to use as bait, and set up a bait rig with slip sinker, and have atter. We hammered the yellow tails, and some other type of snapper when we were there. It was loads of fun. They fight hard for their size.

I'd bring a selection of hooks and weights of various sizes, as well as some topwater, and diving plugs.

When I went, I brought a few spools of cheap line with me. You know, the canadian tire brand, 300yd spools. I brought 20, 30 and 40lb test. I gave it to the locals, as well as a bunch of cheap hooks and weights, and they hooked me up bigtime with places to fish, and even took me out at night, shorefishing, where they catch tarpon. I never did get one, but guys around me did...some of them were HUGE! I also gave them all the fish I did catch, which they seemed to REALLY appreciate!!

Good luck!

S.

Thanks for the tips. I have never even seen the ocean so the closest ive been to a salt water fish is at the pet store. Even if I can just catch one tiny fish ill be a happy man.

Good luck!

S.

I,ll stick to NFLD cod jigg,n TY. :rofl2:

Have a great trip Richy.

Edited by Misfish

Great place and good times there! Was there this past year, did some simple jigging from a pedal boat (just peddled out to where the water went from turquoise to dark blue and dropped a jib) and caught a few small rockfish.

Did see a good sized 'cuda crashing a school of baitfish in about 6 inches of water at sunset - very cool!

• 1 year later...