Fall Fishing Report

12footspringbok

Well it was a good season for sure. With all this rain we're getting I'll be lucky if my favourite pools aren't iced over by the time the water clears.

Anyways I had the itch something fierce this fall and pounded the river bank harder than I have for a few years now mostly with my good fishing buddy Jim. I also tried a couple new things this fall as well. I bought a "pin" to do some "proper" float-fishing not this half ass spinning gear floating I've been doing since I was 16. Secondly some friends and I got out a bunch of times trolling in fairly shallow for bows. I'll get a little more detailed later.

It seems the salmon have started to make a little bit of a comeback. Its too bad they don't get much respect once they enter the rivers. They really do offer a good challenge to anyone that wants to target them legitimitally. I had a rough start with them, think I lost the first 8 or 9 fish I hooked this fall. Doesn't sound like much but when you're lucky to get 2 or 3 strikes per outing it hurts. Anyhow onto a couple pics.

fall2011Picture001.jpg

fall2011Picture013.jpg

fall2011Picture017.jpg

I got out a bunch of times on the bay trolling with some friends through october. Took a couple friends out that don't fish much. I'm glad we got into some fish for them because now they have the itch too...LOL We experimented flat-lining, rigging, and using planer boards with leadcore. The planer boards with leadcore and spoons did most of the damage. It was cool to experiment with something new and have sucess!

Orange seemed to be the colour they liked the most out there.

fall2011Picture045.jpg

fall2011Picture041.jpg

fall2011Picture040.jpg

fall2011Picture035.jpg

fall2011Picture023.jpg

We spent alot of time still fishing a great big deep pool close to home. I tried figuring this spot out with the pin but I just kept getting outfished by my buddy and his trusty egg sinker wait and see approach. LOL

thanksgivingPicture033.jpg

thanksgivingPicture021.jpg

thanksgivingPicture029-1.jpg

thanksgivingPicture019-1.jpg

fall2011Picture098.jpg

fall2011Picture018.jpg

fall2011Picture051.jpg

fall2011Picture047.jpg

fall2011Picture054.jpg

My friend got a Beauty male one morning his new PB. Just not sure the size no scale or tape measure. He was destined to make lots of baby steelehead.

fall2011Picture058.jpg

We also did quite a bit of trolling flatfish and casting spinners from shore. Gotta love the violent lure hits.

fall2011Picture015-1.jpg

fall2011Picture089.jpg

fall2011Picture082.jpg

fall2011Picture074.jpg

fall2011Picture067.jpg

Prettiest fish of the fall by far too bad the pics don't do it.... :blahblah1:

fall2011Picture094.jpg

Lastly float fishing. Not sure what the big deal about it is. What can I say its a great tool, but I won't be putting the spinning gear away anytime soon.

First one on the pin.

fall2011Picture063.jpg

fall2011Picture081.jpg

fall2011Picture079.jpg

fall2011Picture080.jpg

fall2011Picture078.jpg

Oh and one other thing. I did have to give up the river for a week of hunting. Didn't have much luck this year but we did sneak away a couple afternoons for some walleye fishing while up on the french.

Tied my PB 27" walleye.

Frenchwalleye.jpg

Time to start getting the ice gear ready.... :lol:

Thanks for reading. :)

Looks like a hell of a day thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks but it actually was more like three months...LOL

oh man, great report!! I actually read it once this morning and again just now. That's one heck of a collection of trout and salmon.thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Rod Caster!

Wow...what a great report! Some seriously gorgeous fish there....the little 12ft springbok from Nowhere has the mojo workin!

Some one always gets slimed when the 12 foot springbok hits the water...LOL

Very good report! Looks like you had an amazing season.

Thanks for sharing! :good:

Thanks

Pretty fishies and some nice tanks

Just wish I had some better camera skills. We did get a few "dandy's" but nothing like those lake O beasts I see some of you guys catching.

Very sweet fish :thumbsup_anim:

Good point about still fishing. There's a number of spots on that river I'd love to go back and try where I blanked with the float and lures.

Some of those deep slow moving spots with back eddies and weird currents are hard to fish any other way.

Very nice man! I need to get out on the bay for rainbows in the spring! I've also heard the whitie bite is decent out there as well.

We tried the spring whitie bite last year. All we caught were bows...LOL

Great fishing Martin, looks like you and Jimmy put a hurting on them.

Some great fish on the kwikies and hardware!

The whities off the mouth is a tough gig. Its totally hit or miss. I can remember being out with my old man when the ice was still floating around. You had to chum them to keep them around. We would also use skien from time to time with good success.

wont be long now and we'll be chasing greasers :)

Ryan

Edited by troutguy

The whities off the mouth is a tough gig. Its totally hit or miss. I can remember being out with my old man when the ice was still floating around. You had to chum them to keep them around. We would also use skien from time to time with good success.

wont be long now and we'll be chasing greasers :)

Ryan

Thats funny. I remember floating around the mini icebergs with my old man out there close to 15 years ago now.... There would be about 25 boats out there. Like three of the boats would be absolutley hammering them and everyone was getting skunked...

Greasers.... Yup Started messing around with my ice gear last night. BTW I heard your living not too far away from me. Better be careful or you might have someone else following you to your spots... :devil: