While we are on the subject of Reels

mercman

I run Convectors and was a little worried at first because I wasn't spending a zillion dollars on shiny machined-from-barstock bling reels. They have been fine and have dealt with numerous 300ft rips from hot kings...

Apparently the newer models have some improvements over the older ones, starting with 2010 MY product. That's what I was "told" anyways. And salesmen never lie! :whistling:

I would think they will do fine.

I agree you get what you pay for.

For the money (80-85 bucks), the convector is a great reel IMO. We use higher end reels as well (Clarions, Penn and Tekota) , but have no issues with the convectors.

We've used them hard on the big water downrigging, with planer boards and with leadcore and no major problems.

Edited by Harrison

I have two Convectors and one of them trys real hard to be as bad as the other one! The only redeeming factor that I can see with them, is the big power handle.

If it were me, I'd be looking at the Diawa Sealine Series and get the one that has the line capacity that is going to best suit your needs...Okuma can "Convector me off"!

HH

I have two Convectors and one of them trys real hard to be as bad as the other one! The only redeeming factor that I can see with them, is the big power handle.

If it were me, I'd be looking at the Diawa Sealine Series and get the one that has the line capacity that is going to best suit your needs...Okuma can "Convector me off"!

HH

Ha, ok Joe, I'll bring one next time we go out fishing.. I assume the small 20 size will be suffice! ;)

Are you guys using your Okumas in the late fall, I,ve used a couple and they all freeze up late Nov into Dec. when the big fatties come out to play?

larry - like usual, you are 100% correct. okuma's are not seeled correctly, and will absolutely freeze in the winter....

my personal experience in December through February is only the Tekota's are seeled enough not to freeze...fishing quinte in december, in -15 degree temps, i've had a tekota encased in ice and just broke the ice off, gave it a strong turn, and she worked again....

but i think okuma appeals to the masses...cheap....left handed models....etc....so how many folks actually fish in december through february? a few % of anglers?

okuma gets more anglers on the water than any other reel....

and their warranty is second to none....

but when it comes to hard core use, i've yet to find a better reel than a tekota....and yep, i've used them all...i had to learn to reel with both hands...it was tough at first, but now it's second nature...even my father and close fishing friends can all reel with their right hands when trolling...and we ALL use left handed baitcasters for bass fishing....

only one that comes 'even' close is the daiwa saltists...