What is the average cost (including labour) to replace an Toyota alternator at dealerships?

okumasheffield

According too “Mitchell OnDemand” which is an automotive repair information and flat rate time estimator provider.

It says .6 of an hour to test the charging system & .6 of an hour to remove & replace an alternator.

So that would be 1.2 hours X whatever the door rate is of the dealership or independent repair facility. Which could range anywhere from $70-$120. per-hour.

The alternator would depend on whether it was a 90amp (manual transmission) or 100amp (automatic transmission); with a price ranging from $250.00 - $425.00 list price.

The dealership’s replacement alternator will likely only have a 1 year warrantee. Most quality aftermarket suppliers will come with either a 2 year or possibly even lifetime warrantee.

If by chance you’re considering a used unit, be very careful that it is a numbers matching alternator.

Just because it will physically fit; doesn’t mean that it is electrically/electronically the same and if its not, could do damage to the controller (Engine management computer).

One last note; just because there’s a warning light on or the battery has gone dead while driving; doesn’t necessarily mean the alternator is at fault; have the system tested before any parts are purchased or installed. An alternator will not function unless it receives a command from the controller and I’m sorry but we’re not the car’s controllers anymore; the computer(s) and all of its wiring is.

Dan.

If your really stuck on buying an alternator from a dealer, I would buy the part at the dealer and have another independent shop install it. Will save you a few bucks as dealer labour rate is always higher. If it is easily accessed, give it a shot yourself. Not much involved. I'm willing to bet there is tutorials online on how to do it.

On a side note, I have had good luck with CT alternators. Some come with 5 years warranty and they give you 60-75 dollars (I forget) for your old one.

On a side note, I have had good luck with CT alternators. Some come with 5 years warranty and they give you 60-75 dollars (I forget) for your old one.

I’m sorry but they don’t actually give you anything for your old alternator; that money is call a return on the core charge; that you paid out when you purchased the replacement unit. It’s like the beer bottle deposit, built into the price; return the alternator and you get your core/deposit back.

When that happens all at the same time; as in you buy the unit, have them install it and you pay your bill; they like to make it look like they’re giving you that money for the unit; but they’re actually just giving it back.

Also Canadian tire does not have their own rebuilding division; they buy their units from a number of different remanufacturers; depending on who won Crappies contract, this year, month or day; in other word whoever’s the cheapest.

Now I’m not saying that’s always a bad thing; but there’s a reason their nickname is Crappy Tire; it’s always a crapshoot that what you buy from them is any good.

Dan.

This summer I had my battery go completely dead. I dropped the boat in the water (my trailer lights where unplugged) and parked. Came back at the end of the day and the truck wouldn't start at all...no click, no lights on dash...nothing. Tried to boost, it was like a video game was going on with my dash...couldn't get it started. Put a new battery in and bingo fired up right away. The Alternator in my 4 runner worked for 12 years. I just had it replaced by my mechanic and it cost me $256 all in. He used an OEM unit.

thanks for all your input.

just got it checked & replaced by a mechanics my car-guy friend knows.

the total costs was right in the range mentioned above which is OK.

However, was completely surprised to hear him saying that

at 210k km ... anything in the car can break down at any time ...

Glad to hear you got the car fixed.

Why would you be surprised by his comment? 210K is high mileage on almost any vehicle, alot of components, if they haven't already been replaced, would be reaching the end of their effective lifespan.

Glad to hear you got the car fixed.

Why would you be surprised by his comment? 210K is high mileage on almost any vehicle, alot of components, if they haven't already been replaced, would be reaching the end of their effective lifespan.

I have never beena car guy ... little wouuld I know about what 210k means

so ... does it mean most people just went out to buy another car when getting close to 210k?

I have never beena car guy ... little wouuld I know about what 210k means

so ... does it mean most people just went out to buy another car when getting close to 210k?

...or just fix what breaks.

thanks for all your input.

just got it checked & replaced by a mechanics my car-guy friend knows.

the total costs was right in the range mentioned above which is OK.

However, was completely surprised to hear him saying that

at 210k km ... anything in the car can break down at any time ...

This is when you pat yourself on the back for buying an import and not North American :ninja:

I’m sorry but they don’t actually give you anything for your old alternator; that money is call a return on the core charge; that you paid out when you purchased the replacement unit. It’s like the beer bottle deposit, built into the price; return the alternator and you get your core/deposit back.

When that happens all at the same time; as in you buy the unit, have them install it and you pay your bill; they like to make it look like they’re giving you that money for the unit; but they’re actually just giving it back.

Also Canadian tire does not have their own rebuilding division; they buy their units from a number of different remanufacturers; depending on who won Crappies contract, this year, month or day; in other word whoever’s the cheapest.

Now I’m not saying that’s always a bad thing; but there’s a reason their nickname is Crappy Tire; it’s always a crapshoot that what you buy from them is any good.

Dan.

To each their own I guess. I payed half price when comparing quotes to what the dealer wanted. Even without the core return I thought the price was reasonable and I consider myself a bargain hunter. Alternators/starters purchased from CT are still working after 5+ years.