Short, deep , fast pools

crossover

I'm new to steelheading this year and was out today. I was fishing a deep and slow hole but before the river bends there is a deep and very fast hole. I heard something big splash there so I tried to fish it but I didn't really know how. Do you keep your float in place, or do you slowly lower your rod tip to create an artificial drift, or do you pray and let your float drift for 1.5 seconds before the pool ends? Any input would be appreciated.

you guys have any experience throwing on the heaviest weight so the bait stays still?

I think that would be the technique called plunking (or bar fishing). I doubt it would be any good around here with bait, but a lure could work. I know there are guys out on the west coast who do both with good results. My thoughts are it would save you the major hassle of standing upstream controlling the bait/lures position. I'm not 100% sure because I've never tried it due to the fact that it would look like just another snagging rig. I wonder if someone here knows more about this...

bar fising is effective and easy when you learn the ropes...on the fraser 12-15' surf rods are the norm, 40 or 50 lb braid, 40 - 60 lb mono leaders and up to 14 oz of lead but usually 6-10oz...many guys use the same rig for bar fishing springs and sturgeon shore fishing....bomb it out there, put the rod in the holder, keep close to vertical, as much line off the water as possible and stand VERY close to the rod LOL...spinners/spinner rigs, spin n gloes, trolling spoon, big roe bags, shrimp, etc all work well

in your case though, stack the shot close to the bait, 12-18" up and hold back on the float, less snags IMO then bottom bouncing, especially if you're new to the "feel" of bouncin

i'd try running a spoon or spinner through there first

bottom bouncin you want as little weight as possible in order to keep contact

bar fishing you're holding the bait stationary so you want more, a bar weight or pyramid hold better than bell sinkers

in slow deep pools i tend to eat my lunch while i have a slip sinker rig with a floater roe bag or dew worm out there

Take off your float, clamp on some split shots and bottom bounce the hole.

A lot of guys are hesitant to do this in the scenario the OP has given. By far it is the best way, and sometimes the only way. Float fishing set-ups are run vertically, bottom bouncing set-ups are run horizontally to the surface of the water. Thats how you get under log jams, over hanging tree's etc.

Good tip Mike