Got Lucky Saturday

Dara

Back Thanksgiving weekend I was out fishing with my daughter.

We tried for Eyes for a while and then went over to a perch spot.

Well, we got into them and I was reaching to grab her a minnow while setting my rod in the holder. When I set the rod in the holder I thought it just didn't feel right. I looked and saw my rod floating to the bottom. My daughter says...Dad..want me to go for it...I'm like...NO..its 20 feet deep and gone. She was ready to dive if I had said yes. Kinda funny really.

I hokked up a bottom bouncer and a couple of J plug hooks on my walleye rod and tried a bit to snag it but we didn't have much time left as we needed to be home for Dinner.

When we left I says to her...darn...should have hit the man overboard button on the GPS...she says, no need, it marks our tracks and you can just go the the spot where we spent the time.

Well, 3 weeks later I finally get to take a shot at it. Went out with a friend and we fished the morning down river for Eyes. Hit 3 nice Pike to toss back but no Eyes so we headed for Perch, and Perch poles.

I hooks up the bottom bouncer and a couple of J plug hooks again and drop it down. It was 20' of water and sand bottom, no weeds there so I figured I had a pretty good shot at it.. If these hooks touch any part of the rod or line I will get it.

Well, first pass over the spot and it feels heavy. I tell my buddy...this is it and he grabs the line and starts pulling. 20' later and a 6'6 St Croix ultra light with a Shimano 500 is back on board.

It started to rain and snow after that so no more fishing but I was happy with my days catch anyway.

Haha, good work!

That reminds me of opening day at Liberty Lake when a guy lost an Ugly Stik and Sedonna at one end of the lake, and my cousin snagged it about ten hours after the guy had lost it. He hooked it by the lure end, too, and there was a ton of line out, but we pulled it in carefully and surprised the guy with his rod and reel.

Great end to the story Dara ! Would hurt to lose a nice setup like that to the lake gods.

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with the foam rod floats that BassPro has in their catalogue ? Or is that just too noobish ;) Be great if someone could fab a small self inflating float in the butt end, kinda like Mustang auto-inflate pfd's but for rods.