fall crappie fishing

northernpike56

Hey all I got out for some crappie fishing at a small local pond which will remain unamed with a few buddies of mine to try for some crappie. We got there, unloaded our stuff and started to fish part of the pond where I had limited out on 9-12" crappie last weekend. We tried micro tubes, twistertails, gulp minnows, and worms all suspended under a small pencil bobber for roughly 3 hours and ended up with 1 6" crappie to show for it. dunno.gif I am wondering what types of lures or bait I should be using this time of year for them as well as any specific locations that I should be looking for them (i.e. mouths of creeks, weedbeds, stumps, brush pilings, etc.) The pond is pretty shallow with some brush and bullrushes on the shore and is fed by a small creek if that info helps. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated as I will probably fish there next weekend.

Thanks in advance

- Matt

Gonefishing.gif

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's just that fish move from time to time, and if you're not on them, you definitely won't be catching very many.

On really tough days, I tend to like to move around more often. My friends and I often claim that the fish are really scattered on those days, but I'm not sure what the truth is at all(Maybe we're on the fish but they're not biting). It does makes me feel better that I covered more area at least having tried to have shown my bait out to the few aggressive fish that are around.

Another thing that I found that the water's visibility tends to throw the fishing off if it's not the normal colour it usually is. Bait colour, size, and profile might make or break your day, but I tend to stick with the few standby's that I have.

Is this a daytime or night time event for you?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's just that fish move from time to time, and if you're not on them, you definitely won't be catching very many.

On really tough days, I tend to like to move around more often. My friends and I often claim that the fish are really scattered on those days, but I'm not sure what the truth is at all(Maybe we're on the fish but they're not biting). It does makes me feel better that I covered more area at least having tried to have shown my bait out to the few aggressive fish that are around.

Another thing that I found that the water's visibility tends to throw the fishing off if it's not the normal colour it usually is. Bait colour, size, and profile might make or break your day, but I tend to stick with the few standby's that I have.

Is this a daytime or night time event for you?

Thanks for the info! We were fishing from 1 pm - 4:30ish, covered about 1/3 the shoreline of the pond. Maybe they were hanging around in the middle of the pond dunno.gif

I got out again today for them, tried gulp minnows, crappie tubes, twistertails, worms, live minnows, rapala plugs. Not even a sniff.

What time we're you fishn? I have a couple local ponds I like to fish and they seem to bite best in the morning and then again just before dark. Most of the fish I get are on tubes, gotta keep adjusting the depth of your bait and try playing with different colours until you find the right combo! No matter what you try sometimes it just seems like the fish have disapeared :wallbash: Keep tryin!!