Storeing Rods and Reels

mercman

Make sure u LOOSEN the drag on all the reels that u are storing!! That's the most important thing. If u keep the drags set tight u will/could compress the drag discs and they can warp and stick, essentially screwing up ur drag and costing u for replacement parts

Good tip Bruce...No wonder my 40 year old original Mitchell 300 reel sounded like a coffee grinder...Retired it to the Wall of Fame at my son's trailer at Rice Lake but someone scooped it...

I just did my carp baitrunners yesterday...still using a couple of ultralites...hoping to nail some crappie...dinky perch so far...

Paul I have (2) 10 foot pieces of 1 1/2 pvc pipe hung from the garage ceiling and spaced them so the reel handle is on one and the other is 3 or 4 foot from that. It supports them horizontally without putting pressure on them in a negative way. I would not store rods so they have pressure on the tips like leaning against the wall. Truth be told I have not had any proof that is bad but I also don't want to test it on my rods. I am sure Spiel or some of the other rod builders will answer this pressing question.

Art

Paul I have (2) 10 foot pieces of 1 1/2 pvc pipe hung from the garage ceiling and spaced them so the reel handle is on one and the other is 3 or 4 foot from that. It supports them horizontally without putting pressure on them in a negative way. I would not store rods so they have pressure on the tips like leaning against the wall. Truth be told I have not had any proof that is bad but I also don't want to test it on my rods. I am sure Spiel or some of the other rod builders will answer this pressing question.

Art

Thanks Art ! Thats a dang good idea.I think i have some lengths of PVC left over from when i did the plumbing for my bathroom.Now i just hope the mice dont chew the cork off the handleswallbash.gif

Come on Paul. take 2x of wood, drill a few holes in them and mount them to the ceiling in the basement and hang the rods there and the reels on a bench if not still on the rod. you will end up restringing most reels next year anyway as you will want to try something new I bet... :whistling:

Come on Paul. take 2x of wood, drill a few holes in them and mount them to the ceiling in the basement and hang the rods there and the reels on a bench if not still on the rod. you will end up restringing most reels next year anyway as you will want to try something new I bet... whistling.gif

Yer probably right.I like the pvc tube idea though.I will take the reels off,cause i want to replace the Suffix 832 with PP, and the Nanofil with Siege Monowhistling.gif I wasnt impressed by either this season.