~~~Foul Hooking, & Releasing Phish

oldphart

2011 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations state the following:

It is illegal to possess live invasive fish, including round goby, tubenose goby, grass carp, bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, rudd, ruffe and any species of snakehead. If any of these species are caught, they should be destroyed and not released back into any waters.

and

If you catch a round goby it should be destroyed and not released back into any waters.

and

Never use gobies as bait. It is against the law to use gobies as bait or have live gobies in your possession.

This seems pretty clear to me.

The first gobie I ever caught was snagged in it's side. It was over 10 years ago when they had just been introduced to the BOQ. Every one around put up such a big fuss over the 3 inch long fish (maybe smaller) because no one had seen one before, and we had heard about the gobie being an invasive species. Every one insisted we kill it. We were camping at pickerel park and took the gobie up to the park office and they froze it and were sending it away to the ministry to be studied as the ministry had requested. They said to kill all invasive species, they are not worried about how you catch them imo.

It was a pretty exciting catch at the time...

~~~~The question was if I foul hook them, to be a proper phisherman, should I release them??

2011 Ontario Fishing Summary . . . Page 6

IT IS ILLEGAL TO: Catch a fish by impaling or snagging it with a hook through any part of the body other than the mouth - ANY FISH hooked in this way must be released immediately.

It would be very interesting to hear how a C. O. who dinged somebody for 'snagging gobies' would present his case before a judge!