Quinte fishing line?

mike rousseau

and how much halo do you put on a reel...

100yds/300ft?

im assuming you use some cheeper backing?

it comes in 200yd/600ft spools... so if i use 100yds/300ft on each of my 4 rods... on top of backing... 2 spools of halo would be enough...

does this sound right?

is that enough...?

thanks

I put some cheap backing on and about 150 yards. You probably only need 100 to use with the footage back to the lure and the added footage to the planer board but I put on extra. The reel pictured is a convector 20. It adds up pretty good. If you have a bigger or smaller reel use less backing and keep the mainline length the same. If you are using baitcasters you might have to go with fire line as the diameter is smaller and you can fit more on your reel (it also takes less line to fish with). Just double wrap it in the planer boards.

Edited by Grimace

i have

2 diawa accudepth plus 27s on 9 foot trolling rods... with 360 of 14lb capacity according to the books

and

2 diawa accudepth plus 17s on 8 foot trolling rods... with 250 of 12lb capacity according to the books

the smaller rod/reel combos are for my inside boards and the bigger rod/reel combos are for my outside boards...

You have no issues then. Your good to go.

I am still interested in hearing what some of the other guys run for line.

I think the mono is too stretchy and the fireline isn't stretchy enough. That's how I settled on the flouro main line. The Halo is flouro but it feels like mono as it is nice for knot tying and doesn't kink as bad as other flouro's.

Well, I'm definately in the minority here, but I will only run mono off my inlines... 20lb test.

No leader required, just a snap, not a snap swivel.

Mono is elastic as has been described above and personally, that's what I like about it. Hook sets are not a problem, the bait moving through the water will set the hook. But, should I hook into a rather large wet sock, mono affords me the elasticity to not rip the hooks out, as no stretch is want to do.

The boards like mono :clapping: and in rough water, mono acts just like an elastic and will change the lures speed all the while I am sitting back waiting for the rod to go off.

I fill my spools, I use Diawa Sealines and it is not un-heard off to have 450ft+ of total line out. Actually, this is my preferred method, especially when the bay gets busy and the fish are spooked.

I also really like running lead core. I have five colours on that rod and another 200ft (roughly) of backing on that spool. I will run all five colours in the water and use the backing to connect to the board. The lead core really helps me dial in a depth and repeat it.

HH

Well, I'm definately in the minority here, but I will only run mono off my inlines... 20lb test.

No leader required, just a snap, not a snap swivel.

Mono is elastic as has been described above and personally, that's what I like about it. Hook sets are not a problem, the bait moving through the water will set the hook. But, should I hook into a rather large wet sock, mono affords me the elasticity to not rip the hooks out, as no stretch is want to do.

The boards like mono :clapping: and in rough water, mono acts just like an elastic and will change the lures speed all the while I am sitting back waiting for the rod to go off.

I fill my spools, I use Diawa Sealines and it is not un-heard off to have 450ft+ of total line out. Actually, this is my preferred method, especially when the bay gets busy and the fish are spooked.

I also really like running lead core. I have five colours on that rod and another 200ft (roughly) of backing on that spool. I will run all five colours in the water and use the backing to connect to the board. The lead core really helps me dial in a depth and repeat it.

HH

leadcore is really interesting to me... ive always thought about using it to flatline shallow diving baits like husky jerks to get them to the depths i want....

now im assuming you use a leader from the core to your lure...? how long do you prefer for this?

ive read that each color of core gets you down about 5 feet... is this about right?

I run a 50ft mono leader on my lead core... but I don't use a knott to attach them... I use super glue. I makes for an almost seamless transition from leader to core.

Lead core is very much speed dependant, so the slower you go, the more opportunity for the lead to sink. Given that most folks troll between .5 mph and 2.5 mph, it really is dependant.

Also, Offshore boards will run lead core, at the core no problem.

I use the core for non deep diving baits as well as spoons.

HH

It all depends on speed. Take a few inches of lead out of the end of the leadcore and use the leadless line to make the knot. I use 50 feet of line from the lead to the lure and tie the lead to the mainline. That way the mainline is on the planer board. I use 3 or 4 colours of leadcore. On your 17's you will get away with 3 colours but you'll be better off using the bigger reels. I have an average depth speed chart for leadcore somewhere in my boat. I can't remember if it is in the big water edition or the normal addition of the trollers bible. I think it is the normal addition.

I run a 50ft mono leader on my lead core... but I don't use a knott to attach them... I use super glue. I makes for an almost seamless transition from leader to core.

Lead core is very much speed dependant, so the slower you go, the more opportunity for the lead to sink. Given that most folks troll between .5 mph and 2.5 mph, it really is dependant.

Also, Offshore boards will run lead core, at the core no problem.

I use the core for non deep diving baits as well as spoons.

HH

so considering i fish 2mph most of the time... against 1-5mph current(every spot i fish is different)... leadcore would be tricky...

i guess thats why most guys in my area use a 3 way rig with a sinker...

grimace has it about bang on mike ,i run leadcore 17lb with a 50ft leadeer,or i will run trilene big game 10lb with a 20ft floro leader,if you want to run husky jerks or any baits that dont dive much at all the core is the way to go,its deadly i have done very well with both set-ups just make sure you follow the trolling bible line size guide,and the speed,and the line out on your line counter reels,its about as deadly as it gets man. !!! see precision anglers guide its the bible for us walleye guys...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

i use 10 lb power pro and have zero problems with the planer boards. I also use a 4-5 foot flourocarbon leader.

what was the issue with the light braid and the boards you heard about mike? if it was that it slips off the clips then just do a loop over the clip to keep it hooked on. doesnt cause any issues when releasing it and i have never lost a board due to it slipping.

a few of the guides i have been out with before on quinte use a very similar setup. also the precision trolling guide also mentions using 10 lb braid (4 lb diameter).

i will probably be out there that weekend as well. cant wait

i use 10 lb power pro and have zero problems with the planer boards. I also use a 4-5 foot flourocarbon leader.

what was the issue with the light braid and the boards you heard about mike? if it was that it slips off the clips then just do a loop over the clip to keep it hooked on. doesnt cause any issues when releasing it and i have never lost a board due to it slipping.

a few of the guides i have been out with before on quinte use a very similar setup. also the precision trolling guide also mentions using 10 lb braid (4 lb diameter).

i will probably be out there that weekend as well. cant wait

pretty much the slipping...

i played with my boards this summer to get more comfortable with em... and was having problems with the 10lb pp... just did feel right... slipping... i tried the looping trick... it helped but i am woried my inexperienced friends will somehow mess up releasing the loops and creating a not or tangle and costing me my trophy..

Ok... breaking out my big spoon here....

How many of you guys running braid can say this about your outing at Quinte...

"we went 8 for 14"?

I read reports from guys fishing Quinte and they are landing 60% of hook ups at best... and they are all running braid.

Run mono and your 8/14 will be 13/14.

The only difference between what I'm doing and what guys running braid are doing is the line. It's virtually impossible to rip a lure out of a fishes mouth with 200ft on mono between you and the fish... with braid, there is no give.

So, next time you are out there running braid, why not keep ole Headhunters words in the back of your mind... do the count!

HH