Changed the built in tank fuel lines

scugpg

Well ever since I got my boat I've noticed it always had a strong fuel smell after sitting for a while. I was told that aside from an actual gas leak, gasoline can permeate through plastic gas tanks and fuel lines. I did some investigating for actual leaks and couldn't find any. I ended up tracking down the strong fuel smell to the actual gas lines and primer bulb!

Reading up on this, the US has a new EPA standard for fuel feeder and vent lines that are A1-15 - meaning they have a low-permeation formula and are built to withstand ethanol enriched gas a bit more. I couldn't track down an A1-15 Fuel Fill line so it looks like A2 is still the standard there - as it typically doesn't have fuel (or at least a small amount) sitting in it for too long so permeation isn't as big of an issue there.

Surprisingly for 15yr old lines they are still in good shape on the inside. Some white residue is in them but the rubber held up well. They were originally A1 rated lines. They were fuel soaked though you could really tell the gas had gotten through the entire hose.

The pricing to replace your lines isn't terrible - it was about $100 to replace all three lines and that also includes enough 3/8'' hose for a portable tank and to run to the motor.

3/8'' A1-15 around $2.15/ft

5/8'' A1-15 around $2.40/ft

1.5'' A2 around $3.70/ft

In 2011 there is new regulations to have low-perm fuel bulbs in the US. The price of these primer bulbs have doubled; about $28 for aftermarket or $40 for OEM each. Not sure how long until this is a standard in Canada.

Although more expensive, I'm going to go with the low-perm bulbs, as they will probably stand up to Ethanol gas over time better anyhow.

Some pics of the old/new lines.

DSC01526.JPG

DSC01524.JPG

DSC01522.JPG

DSC01572.JPG

DSC01567.JPG

Good job. Let us know if the fuel odour has completely gone.

Definitely has fixed the issue. The only time I should notice it going forward is when the tank sloshes or temp changes and fumes come through the vent. That is one annoying side of the open vent system vs portable tanks