Lake Simcoe Open -- Saturday

Familyfisherman

To those taking part in the BPS Lake Simcoe Open on Saturday out of Orillia good luck! The prefish has been quite difficult between the wind and the rain...and in my outings the fish have not only been hard to find, but very tough to get to bite.

Hopefully with the weather break on Saturday someone can take a run at the records -- which are made to be broken.

Amazing how good these guys are -- I hope to get to the weigh in to watch the results.

It's at 3pm at the Port of Orillia for those who're interested....

Everyone with over 23 lbs line up and get to weigh in at the main stage (the rest do the walk of shame to another area)...but while they're lined up there you can likely talk with them and I'm sure learn a lot.

Good luck!

Good luck to those participating. I was thinking of heading to simcoe for first time ever on softwater, if the bites been tough i might reconsider and head elsewhere. Would beaverton be good a place to start if i decided to head out?

Almost 30lb for 5 fish is crazy, and all this time ive been heading elsewhere and lake simcoe is the closest to me!

Edited by danbob

Got this from the WFN site, Brian:

We will also bring back the extremely popular Live Streaming video of the weigh-in event; weather and techno-challenges permitting. As far as we know, we were the first bass tournament in Canada to successfully broadcast the entire weigh-in live at last year’s record setting event. The 2010 weigh-in can still be seen at www.simcoeopen.com.

I took in the weigh-in live.

Let me tell you, what a great experience. Seemed every team that weighed in, even those with only 1 or two fish, had at least a nickle in their bag.

28.5 won it, 28.2 was second, less than the 31.55 that won it last year, but from listening it sounded like the fishing conditions were totally different and it was tough out there today.

7.05 was the big fish.

Dave Mercer was fishing with JP DeRose according to the score board. Unfortunately, they didn't weigh-in. Not sure what the story is, if they fished at all. Would like to hear though if anyone knows. I know there were a number of people there that would have liked to see them, even if only a fish or two. Maybe they got skunked.

Dave Mercer was fishing with JP DeRose according to the score board. Unfortunately, they didn't weigh-in. Not sure what the story is, if they fished at all. Would like to hear though if anyone knows. I know there were a number of people there that would have liked to see them, even if only a fish or two. Maybe they got skunked.

They usually just release their fish on the lake if they don't have enough to win it (I believe)

They usually just release their fish on the lake if they don't have enough to win it (I believe)

Just would have been good to have an appearance at the weigh-in. Dave is sponsored by BPS isn't he? Two high profile guys would have really been good for the fans. Like I said, there were people there just to see them.

One team weighed-in 1.2 pounds, they didn't have any trouble showing up.