Is this a deal or what!

mirogak

Hi gang,

This forum is great - have learned a lot here. And I think it just helped me land a great deal.

I have thinking about getting into fly fishing and I know that the gear can cost you an arm and a leg and maybe your head too. So I had been checking out Kijiji and Craiglist for some half decent gear at a half decent price to get into the sport.

Check this out:

Fly rod - Fenwick HMXF 866-2 (8' 6" long - 2pieces)

Fly reel - Fenwick World Class 56D (with the line)

Flies - 35 beautiful looking flies (nymphs and dries) of various sizes (and they don't look like the cheap Crappy Tire kind)

Waders - chest high Browning neoprene waders

Vest - Misty Mountain fishing vest

Net - and a wooden net that gets attached to the back of the vest

They are all in excellent shape with no wears and tears. The waders don't even have any dirt marks on them. And I have learned from this forum that Fenwick is one of the better brands out there. The reel I am not so sure about. All I need now is some fishing boots. Any tips on where and what kind I should get?

How much do you think they are worth second hand? I'll take your votes and then respond back with how much I paid.

Check out the pics....

Miro

rod_reel.JPG

waders.JPG

flies.JPG

photo.JPG

Okay - forget the voting. I paid $120 for it - he was asking $150. Pretty close Mike but now that you guessed the price so close, it makes me think I didn't get a steal.

Mike is very knowledgable when it comes to stuff like that! Either that or he saw the same ad...LOL. Doesn't matter how much it was though...if you thought it was a great deal then that's all that matters. And when you catch your first fish using all that gear it will well worth every penny you spent.

Now get out there fish with it!! :thumbsup_anim:

Mike is very knowledgable when it comes to stuff like that! Either that or he saw the same ad...LOL.

Haha, I swear I was thinking the same thing - he must have seen the same ad on Craigslist. And yes, I will be doing my first fly cast in a couple of hours ... can't wait for AP next spring.

Cheers mate,

Miro

Good deal and welcome to the dark side haha. I got into fly fishing a little over a year ago.

Its pretty addictive, to the point that I barely use my spinning gear anymore. My goal for the fall season is to land a steelhead on the fly.

Good deal and welcome to the dark side haha. I got into fly fishing a little over a year ago.

Its pretty addictive, to the point that I barely use my spinning gear anymore. My goal for the fall season is to land a steelhead on the fly.

Good luck with your goal mate, keep us posted.

Edited by letsgofishing

Pft.....fly fishing..

I kid I kid!! Super addicting, especially when you're chasing big resident browns :)

I caught a cold after I got this deal - just came back from my first practice fly casting in a nearby park. So much fun - I can see this becoming a nasty nasty addiction. But I couldn't cast further than 20 feet. <_<

Hi gang,

This forum is great - have learned a lot here. And I think it just helped me land a great deal.

I have thinking about getting into fly fishing and I know that the gear can cost you an arm and a leg and maybe your head too. So I had been checking out Kijiji and Craiglist for some half decent gear at a half decent price to get into the sport.

Check this out:

Fly rod - Fenwick HMXF 866-2 (8' 6" long - 2pieces)

Fly reel - Fenwick World Class 56D (with the line)

Flies - 35 beautiful looking flies (nymphs and dries) of various sizes (and they don't look like the cheap Crappy Tire kind)

Waders - chest high Browning neoprene waders

Vest - Misty Mountain fishing vest

Net - and a wooden net that gets attached to the back of the vest

They are all in excellent shape with no wears and tears. The waders don't even have any dirt marks on them. And I have learned from this forum that Fenwick is one of the better brands out there. The reel I am not so sure about. All I need now is some fishing boots. Any tips on where and what kind I should get?

How much do you think they are worth second hand? I'll take your votes and then respond back with how much I paid.

Check out the pics....

Miro

I would say you got a very good deal. The rod sold for close to 200 dollars, the reel close to 100 dollars, decent line sells for 45 dollars, the vest maybe 40 dollars, and the waders about 100 dollars. If you only paid 150 dollars.....that's great.

About the reel......it's a great reel.

As for casting only 20 feet....I doubt it. Just the leader is on the average 9 feet long plus the rod almost 9 feet means that you can cast close to 20 feet without any fly out past the end of the rod.

Fly casting is not about distance. Actually, casting long distances means that you must stand up, shift your body a lot, make a bunch of false casts etc etc. This only spooks any fish within 90 feet of your boat...lol. It's much better to make a nice silent slow approach with a low profile and then a quick flick of the rod to extend the fly line. The leader will continue it's travel (9 to 14 feet) towards your target.

Start with short casts using double taper fly line. You can even "overline"....meaning using a fly line size that is 1 or 2 sizes larger than what is written on the rod. This extra weight will flex the rod more with less effort on your part and you can then concentrate more on your timing, rod and arm position etc. A nice smooth cast guarantees that your fly and fly line will alight on the water just the right way.

Edited by Dabluz