Just A few Q'ssss

leafland

Hello all, Leafland here, my son and I just joined your forum kido's runnin under the name (little angler) (he's 12) which a few have already answered his first post. (thx)

We love to fish together but we only get out for the one big trip for a week in Nip with my wife and 2 yr old daughter.

My question is this, we don't own a boat but would like to do a few weekenders close to home if possible (brampton), any shores to toss the line from or cheap cabins for a weekend & a boat? We'd love to get out more and any input would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Leafland...

<yup I love my leafs and I'll never stop>

There are lots of good spots to fish in the Kawarthas and only an hour and a half to two hours from Brampton. There is always the Bronte Creek etc. down at the lake shore. It is really going to depend on what you want to fish for and what you hope to catch.

For some nice pan fishing type excursions though I would suggest the Kawarthas. I can probably point you in the right direction for a few shore fishing spots. Send me a PM, tell me a bit more about what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do.

Hey leafland!

wish I could help you out with the weekend spots, but i'm new to this area of ontario myself. I can tell you though that there are plenty of places you can take the kids for the afternoon right in Brampton or elsewhere in the GTA. For example, I've personally managed a few bass and carp from proffessors lake. It sure isn't lake Nipissing (grew up fishing the west arm) but it makes for a great family outing.

The government also puts out a guide of "urban fishing opportunities" that'll tell you where you can catch fish right in the city with your kids!

just a few thoughts!

Good luck

UF

You can always pop up to the Island lake (sometimes known as Orangeville reservoir). Its just a few minutes north of you and you can fish from shore or, better, rent a boat/canoe. No monsters or anything but pike, bass and loads of perch and sunfish.

edit: here's some pics from island lake last summer: Island Lake Photos

233192403_b138e23a71.jpg

Edited by TbayBoy

As kid who grew up in Brampton I have great childhood memories of renting a boat on Heart lake (and lots of time spent fishing from shore there) also days spent at Glen Haffy ... both pretty close to home .... a little further north is belfountain ... again shore fishing spot wihtin an hour of Brampton.... the are conservation areas and have a small fee to access but offer fair to good opportunities for trout and bass

Hi Leafland,just wanted to say

Kudos on your involvement with your son and questions on the board

what you bring forth is exactly what fishing needs,revitalisation and continuation of the sport

Welcome to the board,look forward to reading your experiences with your son and family

The good people here will more than provide informative assistance,they will share their experiences which I think both of you will enjoy

Edited by marc thorpe

Hey there!! Welcome to the board! I too am a shore fisherman in the GTA. Big Cliff mentioned the Kawarthas...I frequent there often with my wife and kids (aged 15 and 5). Just find a boat launch with a little structure (dock or weed lined) and you can pull up pearch, some bass and sunfish all day long.