newbie steelhead questions

northernpike56

I have been hearing about trout fishing and I think I would like to try some of that this winter.

1. What type of rod, reel, and line should I be using?

2. Do trout start decomposing when they spawn like salmon or can they spawn multiple times?

3. Would it be safe to eat the trout out of Lake Ontario?

4. What lures should I be using?

Thanks,

Matt.

Edited by northernpike56

Hey all I have been hearing about steelhead/brown fishing and I think I would like to try some of that this winter. I am a complete novice to steelheading and have only ever caught them by accident (only 1 bow 1 brown off piers). I will be fishing off of piers on lake O (most likely bronte and skyway). So I have a few questions that I hope you guys could help me out with...

1. What type of rod, reel, and line should I be using for your average lake O steelhead/brown trout? I have a 6ft med-lite spinning spooled up with 6 lb mono and a 6.6 med spinning spooled with 8 lb mono. Hopefully I can get by with one of those but I am willing to spend money on a different setup if its nessesary.

Of those two setups, I'd use the 6.6 med spinning with 8 lb mono....personally I'd use a longer rod with heavier line if casting hardware. If floating I'd use a 12 foot rod, with a lighter leader.

2. Do rainbows/browns start decomposing when they spawn like salmon or can they spawn multiple times?

They do not die like salmon.

3. Would it be safe to eat some rainbows/browns out of bronte pier or the pier under the skyway bridge? I think I would eat around 3 this winter (if I can catch em) thumbsup_anim.gif

Check out the guide to eating sport fish online at Guide to eating Sport Fish in Ontario. It tells you what sizes are "safe" to eat, how much as well as location where the fish are caught.

4. What lures/baits should I be using to catch stellhead/browns? I have the whole collection of spinners, spoons, plugs, you name it. Would floating worms or minnows under a float work from the pier?

All of the above can work...if floating I'd use roe, which can be bought at tackle stores.

5. what would be good general times to concentrate on the piers for them? Do they come in with the salmon and hang around the piers all winter and spring?

The come in a bit later than salmon in the fall. In the spring concentrate on them a day or two after a heavy rain. The increased outflow from creeks send them running upstream from the lakes.

Thanks so much everyone, your help and input is really appreciated!!!

Matt

Good luck Matt!! Lots of reading material out there on the web too..do as much research as you can!

Edited by ccmt

The only thing I would add, is for chucking hardware...if you can afford it, go out and buy yourself a medium action rod between 8-10 ft. You WILL appreciate it not only for ease of fighting the fish, but, also for distance on your casts.

Doesn't have to be expensive, plenty of good rods in the $60-100 range for pier chucking.

Good luck.

Pier fishing for rainbows should be getting good right now, and it should be good right up until december when the water cools significantly and the fish become less active. Although I know you can catch them all winter, best bet for that is roe still fished though. Best days to cast from shore at this time of year are often the days you don't wanna be out there, a strong onshore wind almost always means action up here on Gbay.

There is no tips or tricks better than plain old practice and experience. Just get down there as much as you can even if you're the only one there.