Spawning Salmon - Identifying Redds

fish_finder

Seeing as its that time of year again, and the fish have definitely started spawning in a few systems, I figured we could take a moment to look at something that is often overlooked by folks, especially those that are new to fishing the tribs for salmon, browns and bows.

Many of these migratory species have naturally reproducing populations. The extent of that natural reproduction varies from trib to trib, but none the less, natural reproduction exists.

Avoiding trampling spawning redds is one of the key factors in ensuring these natural populations are able to carry on unimpeded. Once you know what you are looking for, its pretty easy to avoid stepping on these.

Heres a video that shows exactly what a spawning redd looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKVEoxRgrEg

Please folks, try to avoid trampling on these areas while you are out on the rivers! :thumbsup_anim:

Tight lines folks!!

Good post. :good:

But, unfortunatly the people that understand this aren't the ones fishing in ankle deep tribs in the first place.

Then there are the people that know exactly what they're doing and will do it anyways because they just HAVE to get some loose roe. I've seen it too many times and I see the SOME of the exact same guys fishing down stream with their 800 dollar rods and 300 dollar pair of chest waders later in the season....

Being still newly returning to fishing, and very green on trout fishing, I admit I am ignorant - I don't even know if there's any salmon close to my location, but there's definitely trout. I woulda never known this. Well, not never. I would have learned it some day, that day just happened to be today. Thanks.

Education never hurts! It's great to see a post about salmon (applies to trout too as Paulus pointed out) that isn't condecending, but aims to simply educate. Thanks for posting this.

Absolutely CCMT! Whether it be salmon and browns in the fall, or rainbows in the spring, we all need to be aware of where we are walking.