Volunteer Firefighters

NAW

I always told my self I would try to join a volunteer fire department once I moved to the country.

I used to live in a small town with a volunteer department, but I move out of town when I was 18, the minimum age to join. No real volunteer opportunity in Barrie, where I've been for the past 10 years.

I'm moving to country now. One of the places we are looking at is under 10 minute drive to a few different Volunteer departments, and I think a few might even be hiring.

I know there's a few fire fighters on the board. Do you guys have any advice?

I know "volunteer" fire fighters get financial compensation. How much money could one expect to make in a year. Not that it matters, I'm not in it for the money. Just curious.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by N.A.W

I was a volunteer Nick out in Oro for 2 years,then moved back to Barrie. It,s an experience I will never forget. I believe the first year I got like 1200 bucks,the second I got like 2300. I didnt even know you got money when I first joined. It was a bonus if anything.

Go for it Nick, it's a job that'll give you alot of satisfaction. It's nice going home at the end of the day knowing you've helped someone who was in trouble.

Stop in the local firehall when you see the boys around and talk to them for awhile. They'll be a great group of guys that'll be more than happy to give you all the info you need.

go for it!

its typical to be paid hourly or with a yearly bursary. there are still some genuine volunteer arrngements but most are more like a part time setup.

in my area they have union affiliations, a collective bargaining agreement, the works.

often high turnover allows for a lot of hiring.

if firefighting is a noble profession at 70k a year, its certainly a noble profession at 1200 a year.

just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. (not to collect window stickers and t-shirts)

good luck whatever you decide.

I have been a volunteer for the last 6 years and I love it. All areas compensate differently, my area does a points system. You get points for practices you attendand also for calls,longer the call the more points. Since my township has 4 firehalls how it works is say the TWP has $100,000 to spend on fire dept, they add up the total number of points from all the halls and divide that into the $100,000 and then get a value per point. So if there was say 10000 points divided into $100,000 each point is worth $10 if I made all 36 practices (usually an hour and a half) I get $540 for the practices plus however many points I accumulated by reponding to calls. I usally get around $2000-$2500. I believe the $1500 of that is tax exempt. You are not going to get rich doing it, but it sounds like you are getting into it for the right reasons so that won't matter. BEst of luck to you.

IAN

Thanks for the replies guys!

I talked to a volunteer I know who works in the area. He said they're doing a recruiting drive in January, and he'd put in a good work for me.

We'll see if we get this house. I will likely give it a try.

We are not paid but for the last 10 years or so we can accumulate a pension payment once you reach 62 years old through our Service Awards Program.

If you make your minimum 50 point requirement you will be credited $20 per month for that year...but you must be vested for 5 straight years. Getting 50 points is a complex system that includes fire calls, meeting, events, elected officers, etc...but if you do make your 50 points for say 10 years, then you would get $200 a month at the age of 62.

The problem now a days being a volunteer fire fighter is that there is WAY too many training requirements...most folks don't have the time for it....that's why we are having recruiting and retaining fire fighters.

Bob

The problem now a days being a volunteer fire fighter is that there is WAY too many training requirements...

Bob

It's been nearly 44 years since I went on the job Bob and the differences in both technologies and techniques are unbelievable.....some good and some not so good.

I was full time (Toronto) but I spose things are the same for the volunteer outfits as well.

Long gone are the good ole days of just kicking in the door and putting out the fire. Nowadays, there's 27 guys lookin over your shoulder to make sure your doing it right. :angry:

Been retired over 11 years now but still miss the job.....'cept when it's snowing & blowing and 10 below. :lol: