Homemade in line planer boards

Dabluz

Has anyone here made their own in line planer boards? Were they just as good as the store bought ones? Are there any special points that I should look out for when making my boards? They cost close to 30 dollars up here and I figure that I can make a couple for only a fews dollars.....if a homemade board is just as good.

I have another problem. I can't find any releases up here where I live. Does anyone here on the site have any to sell that would work well with a small planer board?

Easy. www.wholesalesports.com, or lebaron.com. I call em on the phone (after 6 pm) and then the gear shows up at my door in a couple of days, for 3 or $4. It's almost like magic.

I recommend wholesalesports. Nice folks, no duty, and no pst in Alberta. Then next best thing to being there.

You can also find lots of info about planer boards lying around.

Well, I did make a set once and they worked quite well but by the time I figured out my cost for materials I probably could have bought a set on special for about the same money and spent a lot more hours fishing.

As for release clips, I used a small alagator clip (available at any electronics shop, and a piece of heavy gauge heat shrink tube on each of the two jaws. I then used a shower curtin loop (the one shaped like an old style key hole) and attached the alagator clip to that to slide them down the line .

For masts I went to an electrical supply shop and bought two pieces of metal conduit, I attached an eye bolt near the top and two simple clothing hooks further down facing in opposite directions to spool my line on.

I may still have a bag of about 50/100 of the clips kicking around, PM me yopur mailing address and I'll send them to you if I can find them.

One hint, use threaded rods to join your planer boards together so that you can adjust the angle if you need to for fine tuning and a piece of the bars that they use for tightening chain link fence is perfect for weight on your outside board, even has holes already in it for screws.

BC i think he wants to try maken Inline Planner boards not the big boards ....ive allways wanted to try maken my own boards outa red wood but just haven't found the time to get to it ...Scotty makes a nice little planner board clip that will work might take some modifiying but im sure they will work ...best bet would be go buy a Church Tackle Walleye Board and try to make like that those boards are #1 on my boat ..if you do make some please let us see them when your finished ..Fishmaster