New Curado Question

manjo39

I've been using a Curado 101D for a few years now and love it. I wanted a second baitcaster with a higher gear ratio and went for the 201E7.

With both reels I have two breaks on. To set the spool tension knob, I'll hold the rod out and loosen the knob until the bait starts to fall freely.

When I do that on the 201E7 the spool seems to get too loose. To a point that the spool moves back and forth. Doesn't do that on my 101D.

Is this normal? Do I have to accept that I'll have a loose spool. Doesn't feel right like my 101D. Is it a defect? I called the store and they said there's nothing wrong with the reel and I'll have to accept it.

I have a Curado 300 and do not have the problem you are describing.If it doesn't feel right, take it back.Try another in the store. Don;t let anyone tell you its normal unless they can prove it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it back. Problem is they are sold out of the 200E7 (almost at every store - getting ready for next years model).

I'll insist they send it back to Shimano.

I think what he was saying was to make sure the VBS cover plate is fully locked down, but if you already have experience with a Curado, I'd assume it's not the problem.

I hope Shimano sorts it out to your satisfaction (though I have no reason to believe they won't.)

You are correct. I had the same problem on my Chronarch Mg and tightening the VBS side cover solved the problem.

You are correct. I had the same problem on my Chronarch Mg and tightening the VBS side cover solved the problem.

On my 101D the VBS cover plate, you have to screw on. Meaning you just keep turning it until its nice and tight. With the 201E7 the VBS cover plate clicks into place with a 1/4" turn. 1/4" turn open, 1/4" turn closed.

I just took it out on the driveway and tried the following. I opened the VBS cover plate, pushed it in as snug as I could without turning it, then when I thought it was in good and tight, I turned the handle to a click to close it. Seemed to keep the spool tight. I tried to move the spool with my finger and it didn't move. Thanks for the tip.

I started casting on the driveway and I still felt something loose. I checked the spool mid-retreive and it was tight. Something else was loose. I checked the handle and it moves slightly backwards. When I reel in really fast, the handle seems to jiggle. Maybe that's what I was feeling on retreive? I checked my 101D to see if the handle jiggles and it does, but doesn't do it on retrieve. On the 201E7 it does and really bothers me. Does your handle jiggle on the Cronarch Mg?

I have the same reel 201E7 and it has a bit of play in the spool I will be sending it in in the off season for repair/warranty still works great just don't like the noise and vibration.

Sorry your having issues, but happy to hear that I'm not the only one and I'm not crazy (my wife would beg to differ). I'll do the same. Wait till season's end and send it in.

I agree that it works great, but shouldn't vibrat and rattle for a Curado.

i have 4 201's....and 1 of them does the shakes rattle and roll....so i was thinking ive sending them in to get serviced this off season....

anyone know someone who services reels??

For warranty claims:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Repair_Services.html