No kill zones on the upper Credit and Grand

Alfiegee

From Ask a CO website relating to the exact same subject

http://www.outdoorontario.net/AskMNR/mnrfaqfish.html

Question 124:

What should a person do if they were to hook a walleye that would definately not survive if released due to the way is was hooked? Is it up to a C.O.'s discretion or must it still be released?

Asked June 28/00

Answer from the MNR

I am assuming from the context of your question that the walleye that you were referring to was in some way illegal. Otherwise, its butter and flour time! The answer, if the fish is illegal (out of season, under or over size, over limit, illegal gear, etc.) is that the fish must be immediately returned to the water. By regulation, this must be done in a manner which causes the least amount of harm to the fish. Even if the fish were dead, it must be returned.

This topic was posted on another forum. Hypothetically the poster wants someone to give him the answer he wants to hear.

I have done a fair share of fishing in my day, some of it in rivers and streams. When I use a single barbless hook I find it unlikely that a fish would be hooked so deep that it would die.

Hypothetically a 20 inch brookie is a prime breeder with good genetics, and it is a shame that such a hypothetical fish is no longer contributing to the gene pool. If you like to catch and keep brook trout maybe you should be fishing other bodies of water where you are allowed to keep them. Hypothetically they exist, even inside the GTA, despite what your 40 years of experience suggests.

And I have caught a 20 inch brookie this year. It was in a body of water where I was allowed to keep it, and I was on a camping trip fishing for dinner.

I am sorry if my answer is curt, but I dislike it when a person asks a question but only listen to the answers that he wants to hear.