Pleasure Craft Operator Card

thatleetboy

Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Do you need to carry the card itself, or will a photocopy of the card itself be sufficient?

This came up in a discussion on the weekend, with opposing views being offered, and despite my best attempts to read the rules/regulations/legislation online, I can't find a definitive answer.

What happens when you get stopped?

Thanks

This has been widely discussed for at least the past two years on this and other forums. Just as the police will not accept a photocopy of your driver's license, or border guards will not accept a photocopy of your passport, no one will accept a photocopy of your PCOC.

There is no debate about this - you need the original card. A photocopy will NOT be accepted.

Fine is $300, so the choice is yours.

Problem is, the way I understand it, there is no central data base where anyone can check to see if you ever had a license in the event you lose the original.

If the company that gave you the exam is no longer around your outta luck and will need to take the exam over again and pay whatever the going price is today. If your just a young guy now, you better look after that piece of paper cause you need to keep it for many many years.

I got my license the 1st year they became available and it's nothing more than a cheap piece of paper with no protection. I had it laminated for protection and while I was at it I had a bunch of copies made and laminated them too.

I carry one in the boat, one in my wallet, plus one in each of my tackle boxes.

Just another screw up by our government :wallbash:

I got mine in 2000 I think. The only thing I remember getting out of the whole testing was a date with one of the girls. Oh, and a trick for remembering what side Port is as it has four letters like Left.

Edited by Harrison

• 9 months later...

The org. who issued you the original will be able to sell you copies IF they are still in business.

Hello all,

I apologize for replying to thread that's been dormant for a few months.

However I wanted to let everyone know that Transport Canada now has a National Database of everyone who has received their card. It's a fairly painless process to get a new card, well a lot more so than a few years ago anyway. If you know who you took your exam with and they're still around, you may contact them and they can issue/sell you a replacement.

If you do not know who you took your exam with or if that company is no longer in business:

Call Transport Canada 1-800-267-6687

They will locate your account and who you took the exam with.

If the company is still offering the service, you will be directed to contact them.

If the company is no longer in service, Transport Canada will issue you a document which you may present to any active course provider (BOATERexam, Power Squadron, Life Saving Society, etc...) which will entitle you to purchase a replacement card from them.

In regards to keeping a photocopy or laminated photocopy as proof of certification, I'd advise against it as they're not recognized as proof. You may encounter an office who'll accept it, just as sometimes you'll get away with warning if you're speeding in your car. They can fine you if they want, but it's up to their discretion. Better to be safe than sorry and keep a card in the boat.