Need Suggestions Where to Go.

Miracon

Hi All! I am new here! And also quite new to fishing as well but looking forward to taking some time to make it an enjoyable hobby. I hope to be able to learn a lot from this forum.

I am looking for any suggestions as the where to go this weekend that is no further then 2 hours from Barrie (any direction). We were hoping to get in some good fishing (for amateurs!) which would include needing to rent a boat. And also be able to stay for 2 nights. I've exhausted the internet trying to find something so thought here would be a great place for ideas.

Thanks so much in advance! :D

Edited by Miracon

Somewhere in the Kawarthas - Dalrymple, Balsam, Sturgeon, Pigeon, Buckhorn - is probably suitable for you. You will probably have to start calling around now as many will be booked up.

Here are a few places to start:

http://www.thekawarthas.net/tourism/dine-and-stay/06=resorts-and-cottages/

http://www.thekawarthas.net/tourism/relax-and-play/13=fishing/

http://www.bobcaygeon.org/cottages.html

Good luck!

If you're new to fishing and know what species you'd really like to target, I'd suggest a day trip somewhere with a guide. The guide would help you with technique, tackle, tricks and tips for future outtings which in turn would make them way more enjoyable. There are several guides on here that would be more then willing to take you out.

As for your original question......I second the Kawarthas. :)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to offer great suggestions. I am definitely going to look into all of them. I know I've left it to the last minute but I didn't realize we were going to be free til a few days ago! :rolleyes:

I did just find a few cottages online, on Silver Lake, Parry Sound, that are available and reasonably priced. Does anyone know if that is a good spot for fishing?

Again, thanks soooo much! :)

Well, if you want to know where to go, you came to the right place, my wife never has any trouble telling me where to go! :whistling:

Seriously though if you are thinking of the Kawarthas you could try Lunge Haven Cottages on Sturgeon Lake, Nice people, reasonable rates, but I'm not sure if they have anything available on such short notice. Good luck!

Edited by Big Cliff

Big Cliff - Too funny about the wife comment! Haha! Thanks so much for the suggestion. I just phoned them but they are fully booked. But they look great so I will keep them in mind for next year.

FishLogic - I've been going through the links you sent and am finding a few vacancies! :clapping: And looking it up, I see you are right about fishing in the Kawarthas! Maybe I'll actually catch something this time! Haha! Thanks again for passing on that info!

Take Pigeon or Buckhorn, the other two are quite small.

Thanks Garry! And thanks to everyone else who offered advice! FishLogic's links were awesome and I found a place from there. I've booked at Trails End Lodge on Pigeon Lake. They sound great and their prices were lower then anywhere else too! Norm there is even supplying us with fishing equipment and a few lessons from him! :clapping:

I will definitely come back here and let everyone know what it's like.

Here is the link if anyone is interested...

Trails End Lodge

Thanks Garry! And thanks to everyone else who offered advice! FishLogic's links were awesome and I found a place from there. I've booked at Trails End Lodge on Pigeon Lake. They sound great and their prices were lower then anywhere else too! Norm there is even supplying us with fishing equipment and a few lessons from him! :clapping:

I will definitely come back here and let everyone know what it's like.

Here is the link if anyone is interested...

Trails End Lodge

Ask Norm to point out Gordon's Rocks to you...you can see them from shore...

Fish on the west side of them out about 30 feet and cast towards the lodge...should be a few bass hanging around and the odd shoal carp (musky)...

Then try over by the islands near Big Island or by Hurricane Point if the water isn't too rough...

I'd be out there myself but the "Tin of Beans" is still in drydock...sad.gif

Ask Norm to point out Gordon's Rocks to you...you can see them from shore...

Fish on the west side of them out about 30 feet and cast towards the lodge...should be a few bass hanging around and the odd shoal carp (musky)...

Then try over by the islands near Big Island or by Hurricane Point if the water isn't too rough...

I'd be out there myself but the "Tin of Beans" is still in drydock...sad.gif

Beans...Wow! Thanks for the awesome advice! Going to follow it to a T!

Will keep you posted how we do!

Too bad you won't be out...could have bumped into you!