few new rods...

hey guys went to AlFlahertys and bought 2 QUANTUM CATALYST rods, 7 footers, medium heavy, 1 spinning, 1 casting, what do yall think of these? i have the Abu garcia 4600 c3 on the casting, and sedona 100 on spinning, i really like the handle, its got that space, its quite nice, i have a quaetion about the IM of a rod, what does this mean? and is it the higher IM the better, typically?

hey guys went to AlFlahertys and bought 2 QUANTUM CATALYST rods, 7 footers, medium heavy, 1 spinning, 1 casting, what do yall think of these? i have the Abu garcia 4600 c3 on the casting, and sedona 100 on spinning, i really like the handle, its got that space, its quite nice, i have a quaetion about the IM of a rod, what does this mean? and is it the higher IM the better, typically?

Yes the higher the IM rating is a better quality rod blank. They also have usually better quality guides, actions are more easily varied for specific usage, better sensitivity, etc. Hope this answers your question.

Hmm ... funny ... back in the day when I cared about this stuff I read in quite a few places that IM rating is all marketing Bull that companies put out there to confuse consumers ..... and although it HAS some sort of meaning , it's far more complex than the simple 'higher is better' analogy....

I say .... put a rod in your hands , then look at the statistics , then at the price tag ..... then think about the equipment that you're gonna be throwing with the rod . If you like the rod, are willing to pay the price, and its specs match your needs, buy it ... because the weakest link on a fishing trip is the fisherman .

Hmm ... funny ... back in the day when I cared about this stuff I read in quite a few places that IM rating is all marketing Bull that companies put out there to confuse consumers ..... and although it HAS some sort of meaning , it's far more complex than the simple 'higher is better' analogy....

Well it definitely varies from manufacturer to manufacturer ( sort of like sizes of clothes, they are never the same, one shirt your a large, different manufacturer your a XXL )

But I have had top, middle and bottom of the line from the same companies and the higher modules are always the best rods, but the best Fenwick at 1M8 won't be as good as the best GLoomis 1M8, so yes it definitely varies but generally the higher modules are better rods.

I got a quantum catalyst spinning rod last fall for tubes and other soft plastics, used it for smallmouth and worked great! No complaints very sensitive and had great backbone to get some good hooksets! So far great rod and can't beat ther price.