taxes to be paid on imported boats?

ch312

new 2011 lund 1775 impact

125 optimax

9.9 bigfoot kicker with trim and tilt

$24000 out the door. how much should i expect to pay for taxes and importing fees? is a price like that worth driving 700 kms one way to get the boat in michigan? i've never done the importing thing before.

option 2 is in ontario and is a new 2011 polar kraft 179 tc with 90hp e tec, electric trolling, fish finder, full covers. $22,500 out the door.

it's taken me a few weeks, but i've finally narrowed twit down to two. which one would you take and why.

Either way your gunna have to pay tax...

As for import fee... 200 bucks for the trailer...

i was under the impression that the polar kraft out the door price included taxes and with the lund i'd have to pay all taxes/duty at the border. i couldnt find the tax % on the website...

125 optimax

$24000 out the door. how much should i expect to pay for taxes and importing fees? is a price like that worth driving 700 kms one way to get the boat in michigan? i've never done the importing thing before.

option 2 is in ontario and is a new 2011 polar kraft 179 tc with 90hp e tec, electric trolling, fish finder, full covers. $22,500 out the door.

it's taken me a few weeks, but i've finally narrowed twit down to two. which one would you take and why.

You added "out the door" to the description of both boats. Do those dollar values include sales tax? Michigan sales tax is 6% and Ontaio is 13%.

I will assume they do. The Ontario boat is straight forward...minor travel expenses depending on where you bought it. The Michigan boat will break down as follows:

- $24,000 USD (+6% state tax?)

- Currency exchange = the Canadian dollar is about .02 above the US but the bank will charge you that on the exchange. Call it par.

- 1400 kms round trip averaging 17 liter/100 = $250

- one night hotel + food = $200

- HST on the boat and motor payable at Canadian Customs - $24,000 subtract trailer @$2,600(approx.) = $21,400 x .13 = $2782.00

- GST on the trailer payable at Canadian Customs - @2,600 x .08 = $208

- PST on the trailer payable at the Motor Vehicle Licencing Office = $156

- RIV(Registrar of Imported Vehicles - $195 + HST = $220.35

- Trailer inspection at Canadian Tire before licencing = $40.00

- Trailer licence = $30

Total = $27,886.35

Something else to consider...boat licencing. If you buy the boat in Canada from a dealer, it will be registered and have the numbers on it when you go pick it up. If you buy the US boat, you will have to complete a form and send supporting documents to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Center in Fredericton, New Brunswick and wait about 1 1/2 weeks for your license. No operating the boat until the numbers come.

Now, to answer your question, no one can. The boats are different and only you know what they are worth to you and if your will to pay more for one over the other.

It appears that I may be trying to sway you to purchase the Canadian boat from all the expenses I listed. It's not the case, in fact I bought a US boat in July because it was a much better deal than anything I could find here. I just want you to factor everything in before you make YOUR decision.

Good luck! If you have any import questions, let me know.

Dave

125 optimax

Ch312, Musky Mike is still correct. You need to know exactly what in included for that price. Also, remember that you'll pay 6% Michigan state tax at the dealer AND pay the HST/GST/PST combo as I outlined at border and when you get your plates. Canada does not care you paid Michigan and visa versa.

See if they'll deliver it to at least the park in Sarnia (first exit off the bridge and turn South) or similar. That way it's "delivered" and you won't be paying state tax. I've done a few cash deals in that parking lot, with items coming and going from/to the USA with regards to aircraft accessories (floats/skis of similar and higher value). Tybo and Joey had their Lund "delivered" from Michigan as well and can probably help you in that regard as to how it all went.