Aluminum/Riveted boat and roller trailer...

icefisherman

Aside from everyone's personal preferences is there any factual evidence of roller trailers having negative effect on riveted aluminum boats?

I was advised to change my rollers with bunks and would like to research this issue a bit more before making a decision...Boat is 1700 Lund Pro Sport with riveted hull

Was quoted $300 for switching from rollers to bunks.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I was told when I bought my boat (riveted aluminum) that rollers would leave dents in the bottom panels between the braces especially if traveling on rough roads.It was also pointed out that the bunks or rollers had to support the transom and the rollers had to be dead on the transom to stop any buckling.

vance

I have a 16 foot riveted aluminum boat on a roller trailer...

Love it

No dents

I can launch in a foot of water...

Only downside in my opinion... Rollers are tricky to launch by yourself... Because the boat doesnt stay put... But I've learnt to overcome this

obstical...

Edit

My boat is 14 years old...

Edited by Musky Mike

In time the roller will put divots in.This is not good,As they get push in it put undo stress on the rivets.

On my bigger boats I had rollers.In off season I would store the boat on planks.Never had a problem(or maybe that was the

problem and not my driving). :)

Aside from everyone's personal preferences is there any factual evidence of roller trailers having negative effect on riveted aluminum boats?

I was advised to change my rollers with bunks and would like to research this issue a bit more before making a decision...Boat is 1700 Lund Pro Sport with riveted hull

Was quoted $300 for switching from rollers to bunks.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Did the package come with the roller trailer?

I can't recall ever having seen an aluminum boat on a roller trailer. I'd say convert it to bunks.

Is this a dealer you are buying off? Perhaps to get an upcharge of $300 for the trailer?

Did the package come with the roller trailer?

I can't recall ever having seen an aluminum boat on a roller trailer. I'd say convert it to bunks.

Is this a dealer you are buying off? Perhaps to get an upcharge of $300 for the trailer?

Yes the boat came on a roller trailer. I've actually seen number of Lund (and others) aluminum riveted boats on roller trailers. So not sure how it gets determined but I am sure I am not an exception. A marine shop has advised me on switching to bunks and quoted me on it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman