What is the best way to untangle a baitcaster birdnest?

okumasheffield

Pulling out a backlash isn't rocket science, and the thumb trick sort of works, but it might help you to understand that at the point where the line is binding there will be an upside down V of line holding the running line down.

To release the tangle, don't use brute force, this might make it worse.

Pull the running line until it stops...Find the V that is holding the running line and pull the V up and to the side...The spool will turn backwards, then stop...Pull on the running line again and simple backlashes will be undone.

For more complicated tangles repeat the process. Pull the running line until it stops...Find the V...ETC.

Yep! :thumbsup_anim:

Randy

:canadian:

1.) What Garry said, it really comes down to practice though, you should be able to cast all day and have few or no issues.

2.) What Roy mentioned with a twist, LOL I am sure he knows a lot more about crocheting than me. I believe Dentek makes a small dental pick that is plastic and stainless steel that would also work well for line tangles, you can find them at your local drug store or Walmart for like a buck or two.

3.) I use mono on my baitcasters, from 10-20# test, and no real issues.

I did have a big bad birds nest at the last tourney. I fired out a crank bait, and I forgot to tighten the brakes. I had it completly lostened off as I hadn't used that reel yet this year. oh man was it ugly. I ended up cutting the lure off and putting it on a different rod, and throwing it in the rod locker. At home I just cut if off. There is no sure fire way to get a birds nest out. You gotta just work at it or cut the line off.

I find the easiest way is not to get bird nests then you don't have to remove them

and when I am spending a day skipping baits

I make a cast farther then I will be skipping and then put a bit of electrical tape on the spool and reel back in and skip till my hearts content ...

no bird nests period

+1....sure fire way to prevent birds nests or at the very least manageable ones especially when skipping an yer max 20-30 yards a skip

I don't know about mono being better on baitcasters. The birdsnests with mono most always end up being cut out for me.

The backlash with braid comes out much easier for me and I'm assuming it's because of the coarseness of braid compared to mono now allowing the backlash to go as deep.

Gary's remedy works best for me also.