Battery charging question

mistaredone

My trolling motor has 2 deep cycle 12v battaries in series. Both are one season old and have never given me a problem. Today I went to charge one of the battaries and the charger had no resonse when I hooked it up? All the other battaries when hooked up to the charger would show volts or percentage of charger. I tested the battarie with my little minn cota voltometer and it showed 1/2 charge?

Is there something wrong with my battarie or charger?

Thanks

Hook your meter to your battery. It should say 12.5 now plug your charger in and the volts should go to 13.5-14.5. This might take a minute.

Clean connection is the #1 cos of poor charging so take every connection apart wire brush clean and apply white electrical grease.

My trolling motor has 2 deep cycle 12v battaries in series. Both are one season old and have never given me a problem. Today I went to charge one of the battaries and the charger had no resonse when I hooked it up? All the other battaries when hooked up to the charger would show volts or percentage of charger. I tested the battarie with my little minn cota voltometer and it showed 1/2 charge?

Is there something wrong with my battarie or charger?

Thanks

Your little Minn Kota voltmeter....does it indicate the voltage? If not, buy a real voltmeter and check to see what the voltage of the battery is because some chargers will not recharge a battery that has too low of a voltage. You hook up the charger and nothing appears on the charger because the charger does not recognize the fact that it is connected to a battery. If this is the case, add the other battery in parallel to your weak battery in order to get a higher voltage. With a higher voltage, the charger will know that it is connected to a battery. After a few minutes, you can disconnect the stronger battery and the charger will continue charging.

Is your deep cycle battery sealed or can you check the liquid level of each cell? If it is not sealed, the best way to check a battery is with a hydrometer.