2 stroke oil for a older Merc suggestions

baironhorse

Don't blame the oil for a bad injector/oil pump.

Hey i log my oil and fuel consumption if it was a bad pump would have noticed one litre of oil every fifty litres of fuel.. Im not the only one who wont run synthetic in a two stroke. Im not tryin to start a pissing match just sayin i dont think it burns well. Dont know why. Dont care.. I just wont run it in a sled.

Yes Irish I have been for the last hour or so...I thought that applied more to 4 strokes engine oil than it does to 2 strokes premix oil....Im still on the fence since I do have a 1991 25hp merc 2s that runs fine...been using shell nauttlus from Candain Tire...Not sure if this is a quality oil...

My plan this weekend is to run some seafoam as per instructions, changed plugs and run fresh tank of gas(add some stabile marine) with a quality two stroke oil..

Here's one reason... synthetics do a VERY lousy job of holding contaminants in suspension.

For all the rest.. hit the advanced search icon.. type in the word Synthetic.. under author.. type irishfield.... click the "posts only spot"... hit enter.. oh, grab a few beverages first... you're gonna be reading for a long while.

Edited by Ironhorse

My plan this weekend is to run some seafoam as per instructions, changed plugs and run fresh tank of gas(add some stabile marine) with a quality two stroke oil..

By the time you get going, summer is going to be done and you'll be getting out your mukluks.

Been running it all season..out at least once a week...will be on the lake for a week or so .... so I will have some time on my hands....it shouldn't take too long to do this or do you suggest clean her up before storing for winter??

By the time you get going, summer is going to be done and you'll be getting out your mukluks.

So i guess for an older engine 1991 25hp sticking with shell Nautislis isnt to bad after a seafoamin? Not sure last time is was foamed maybe 5 seasons ago (guess)

Here's one reason... synthetics do a VERY lousy job of holding contaminants in suspension.

For all the rest.. hit the advanced search icon.. type in the word Synthetic.. under author.. type irishfield.... click the "posts only spot"... hit enter.. oh, grab a few beverages first... you're gonna be reading for a long while.

So i guess for an older engine 1991 25hp sticking with shell Nautislis isnt to bad after a seafoamin? Not sure last time is was foamed maybe 5 seasons ago (guess)

If the smoke currently isn't an issue for you, than stick to what works. The Amsoil will typically not smoke as much. Other than that you probably won't notice any other difference in that older motor. :Gonefishing:

She smokes when cold but after warm up all good...this is more of a maintenace thing...its my first boat so I want take care of her even if she is old!..thats why i ask you more experienced dudes!

If the smoke currently isn't an issue for you, than stick to what works. The Amsoil will typically not smoke as much. Other than that you probably won't notice any other difference in that older motor. :Gonefishing:

So 32 posts later and we still don't know what kind of oil to use......winter must be setting in around Ontario.... :rofl2:

Ya, that's what I said earlier, the speed he's going to make up his mind he won't have to worry about oil, it will be molasses in a few more months, nows he's moaning about batteries and gas tank.

You think of it as moanin...I think of it increasing the learning curve from the ones that have been there before...i use what I have and make the best of it...thanks to all you have taken the time to respond to educate myself and others that read these posts...given the age of my engine I decided to finish what I have and use oem oil rather than synthetic...just not sold on synthetic yet..

Ya, that's what I said earlier, the speed he's going to make up his mind he won't have to worry about oil, it will be molasses in a few more months, nows he's moaning about batteries and gas tank.