Flourocarbon leaders, can you buy them?

Dave Bailey

With all the talk about flourocarbon leaders I thought that maybe someone would be manufacturing them, but I haven't seen any in stores or on-line. Are they something that I'll have to put together myself? Not that I'm unable, just thought it might be easier to get them ready-made.

If you make them yourself your going to end up with a good high quality leader. Its actually quite fun to go out and buy yourself the best snap swivels and spool of your choice floro material or mono and spend an evening building leaders to your own specification. My personal preference is 80lb mono but its up to you where you want to go with this because there are pro's and con's for both....

There have been many discussions on this topic here in the past so if you use our search engine you should be able to come up with a lot of good information on the subject.

I wouldn't personally buy them but you can find them pre-made. If you are just planning on going for bass, pickeral ect. then you won't need to go over 20lb and you can just do a uni to uni to attach it to your main line and tie directly to the hook. If you are looking to target musky then you need heavy fluorocarbon which doesn't tie very easily. So you'll want to crimp a snap swivel to one end and a double barrel to the other. The perfection loop is a good easy knot for tieing your main to the leader, and if you can manage you could also get a swivel on there using that knot, it's just a little difficult to say the least lol..

Gagnon's has pretied fluoro leaders in 80# and 130#. I bought a couple for pike fishing last weekend.

Components are quality and they held up well.

Thanks, I was going to head in there this week anyway, now I can add those to my shopping list!