Need help from you experts

Dave Bailey

I'm not the sort of person who buys gear all the time, so I don't get into all the technical stuff and comparisons of different brands. What I'm looking for is something serviceable for the family, nothing too fancy or expensive since they only get out a couple of times a year. We are heading up to Grundy Lake PP next week and I would like to get them something better than the 'no name' sort of stuff they have now. I was looking at the combos at Canadian Tire, listed here, Bass Pro here, and Gagnon Sports, here. There are some recognisable brand names, Shimano, Mitchell, Rapala, etc., for $30 t0 $40 that I'm thinking of, just looking for some opinions. Thanks!

I've found Shimano reels to be great. I've used the 2 of the $40 range reels for 15 years now. One was a SureShot and forget the other model name... I think it's actually a SureShotII. Both still good

Don't get a Quantum reel. My buddy has had 3 of them break on him... don't know the model though.

UglyStik rods are almost unbreakable and popular. Maybe look for a reel/Uglystik combo...

Well...if it's for new fishing gear....buy spinning rods and reels for everyone. Steer clear of those pushbutton, closed faced reels. Fishing equipment has really improved over the years. Competition and new technologies has made it possible for anyone to have a decent fishing combo for everyday fishing at a great price. You should be able to find something for about 40 to 50 dollars. The rod is the most important thing. I like a rod to be light, from 6 to 7 feet long and to be fast (stiff). The only rods that I would steer clear of the Rapala rods. From what I have heardd, they are fragile. As for the reel, you don't have to go with Shimano or Diawa. The other brands like Pflueger, Quantum, Abu Garcia are making decent reels. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount when buying from an independant seller.

Make sure that the reel has positive anti-reverse and does not have any fancy trigger device for casting.

Just the other day I saw some rods for sale at 15 dollars and some real smooth Pflueger reels for 28 dollars. The reels were pinkish lavender in colour and sported the name "Lady" on them. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't need a medium light combo, I would have bought one for myself. My favourite rod was a 15 dollar 7 foot "Renegade" that I bought at Wal Mart. I lent it to a newbie and he knocked it on the gunwale. A few minutes later it snapped.

Edited by Dabluz

Have fun up at Grundy. Been there four times, and, always enjoyed it. If you haven't fished it before try Gurd lake, tons of small pike, as well as some decent bass.

As for the combos, stick with the names you mentioned. For the type and amount of fishing you are talking about, you'll be fine. One thing with some of the cheaper combos, if they come with line...replace it with something decent.

Good luck, and, have a great time!!

You'll be fine with a Canadian Tire combo for the wife and kids. For the weekend warrior type of fisherman, they work fine. If you really work the water for hours on end, then, a better quality rod/reel shines with durability. You get what you pay for when it comes to fishing equipment.

Why is that? I rather love the triggers on my Shimanos.

First of all, reels with triggers do not have an instant anti-reverse. When you strike, the reel turns backwards for a full turn before the line tightens and you often miss the fish.

Trigger mechanisms are made of plastic. They quickly get worn and loose if they are not already loose. Only the cheap reels have triggers.

First of all, reels with triggers do not have an instant anti-reverse. When you strike, the reel turns backwards for a full turn before the line tightens and you often miss the fish.

Trigger mechanisms are made of plastic. They quickly get worn and loose if they are not already loose. Only the cheap reels have triggers.

The reel doesn't turn backwards if you hold onto the reel arm/handle (which I am doing when I am fishing), and it certainly doesn't make a full turn if the trigger is near the rod. I have done a lot of fishing with my GX125 and it's still in perfect operating condition. What's your definition of a "cheap" reel? A $60-80 Spirex? Doesn't seem that cheap to me, maybe compared to the top-end, but it's certainly a far cry from the cheap $19.99 dealies.

Regardless, Dave wants a cheapo $40 combo. I am sure anti-reverse is nice, but unnecessary (as is a trigger, obviously). My suggestion would be hit a store and feel them in your hands and get the one you like the feel of the most, in your price range (I'd probably walk out with Shimano, myself, though a couple Quantums felt good too). Or just grab a pink Barbie rod and give'r. No trigger, no anti-reverse, and you can land sharks with them.

Edited by Dana

My Shimanos have triggers and after years of use they haven't come loose or worn away. That's why I recommended the Shimanos... good quality.

As for the trigger itself... no big deal if a reel has it or not.

Thanks guys. I got a PM from Phil, you may have seen his post about his new on-line store. He's got a package that I might pick up for myself, and I'll see about the other under $40 stuff for the family.

Right now I'm using very light stuff, picked it up as a combo at a store in Huntsville after having nothing for about 15 years. It's served me well for about 16 or 17 years but now that I'm hoping to get into this more seriously I'll probably need to upgrade. My rod is a 6'6" Shimano FX-2652A, with a Shimano FX-2000 reel. It does have a trigger but it's never given me any trouble, nor has the rest of the reel. I've never taken care of it, no oil or any maintenance at all. It's fared better than the Shimano gears on my bike, but then, my reel doesn't have to haul my fat carcass around! :blush: