Met up with an old friend

Fang

I have been back in touch with a very good friend of mine who I haven't really hooked up with in 20+ years. We've chatted the odd time on the phone, but last night we finally shook hands and shared a few hours on the water. We met back in 1983 when we both worked at Lebarons in Mississauaga. I was between high school/college and we instantly hit it off fishing all over the trent system, credit and both of us picked up flyfishing at that time. Loads of fun walking rivers fishing muddlers and marabou leeches for smallies.

In recent calls, we've been getting closer to setting up a fishing "date" and he's been pretty insistent it be at his club. He's still an avid fly fisher and a member at a private trout club north of the city. I sold off all my fly gear over 20 years ago, lock stock and barrel - reels, rods, vises, materials and only kept a sentimental Orvis CFO reel(that I used for ice fishing) and 2 basic trout boxes of flies I tied back in the late 80's. Now I have to mention as a fishing junky I did purchase a few years ago 2 brand new fly set ups (7 wt and 9 wt)from Albright on a 80% off clearance web blowout. They have never seen line or the water until last night.

Ran around a bit on the weekend making sure I had what I needed to at least make one cast. 30 lb Red Power Pro makes a great backing and had to re-learn how to tie a nail knot (over 8 tries but I finally got one to hold)

Arrived at the club around 6 pm and had Curt pull in right behind me. He was pretty much ready to go and pulled his rod out and walked down to the lake. Only 2 other members around and they had had no luck. After a quick chat with the guys to find out about the water, I found that there's a fair number of fish in this lake but most are 12-14" with a 1-2 bigger ones (2-4lbs). Hey OK by me!

I was still struggling with getting my leader tied up and then trying to see 4lb tippet to tie a fly on. Curt was already casting a leech pattern off this grass penisula when by pure luck I see some fish wake and swirl along the breakwall to my left. The penisula had a built up retaining wall made out of big cedar logs and fish were right up against close. A few other rises on the lake. Picked out a big hex nymph that was 20 years old and on the 5th cast (first 4 were brutal, first back cast right into a pine) picked up this beauty.

DSCF0424.jpg

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

This kept up for about 2 hours with a nice fish every 20-30 minutes. They kept showing them selves so I just kept casting into this small pocket against the logs. After the 4th fish like the first one, the other gents came down to have a look at what was going on. We all chatted about this little spot and there were still several swirls happening. With everyone standing close by, this fish hit, snapped the fly line tight and fought great. Bulldogged around for about 5 minutes and even jumped a few times. All I did was hang on. Rough guess about 6 lbs as it was thick across the back. Quick measurement was around 28".

DSCF0423.jpg

A few more typicals (12-14"ers) for the rest of the night and we finished it off with a quick burger on the BBQ and a cold beer. This place was a fantastic hide away. casting steadily improved as the night wore on - It is just like riding a bike. I pulled a hopper pattern out later and had some small guys jump all over it but no hook ups.

Thank you Curt for inviting me and allowing me to catch all the fish that night. We will defintiely fish again and soon. My treat for salmon or bass.

I removed the horseshoe from my back pocket and bought a lottery ticket this morning. Can anyone explain this feeling I have to go out and by a fly vise and a bunch of feathers and fur. Didn't realize I missed this type of fishing so much. What a peaceful and relaxing night.

Edited by Fang