Trailer tire wobble & rim quality

scugpg

I've got an older galvanized rim with about the same runout, that was done free for me at XXX Tire Shop on Anne St in Barrie, couple of numbnutz that couldn't mount new rubber on the rim and seat the bead without warping the rim on the machine. Try to prove that. You can get a good idea of the runout by slowly spinning the rim, with or without rubber on the hub. Place a piece of 4x4 or brick on its side beside the tire with two thin rulers on top pointing toward the rim, one ruler on top of the other. Rotate and find the spot on the rim closest to the ruler, slide the bottom one to touch it. Continue to rotate slowly until you find the furthest away spot. slide the top ruler over without disturbing the bottom one. Lift both rulers together without disturbing the distance between the two, you'll then see approximately how much the rim is out.

Now there is another remote possibility. If there was some crud in the jig when they mate the outer rim and inner face of the wheel for welding and everything is not 100% aligned when they weld it, you'll end up with a wobble. Who knows how many "escaped" quality control.

Anyone near you have a dial indicator that you can clamp on to something and put against the face of the hub and turn to see runout?? I have a magnetic base mount in my shop... but I'm not there and you're not close.

Went over to DanD's shop this afternoon and sure enough the new rims are also out at least 1/8 of an inch. tested the dial gauge on one hub and it was 2000th of an inch out so I think its safe to say I got 4 bad rims. At this point I'm tempted to go to ct or pa and buy a few....whatever ones are truest I'll keep.

Edited by scugog

• 3 weeks later...

Went over to DanD's shop this afternoon and sure enough the new rims are also out at least 1/8 of an inch. tested the dial gauge on one hub and it was 2000th of an inch out so I think its safe to say I got 4 bad rims. At this point I'm tempted to go to ct or pa and buy a few....whatever ones are truest I'll keep.

Update: Went to PA and found a set that had a different design to them. They are much better. One has just a slight wobble and the other is almost perfect. They took half as much weight to balance as the original ones I had....which were over 3oz. From what I can tell the quality of trailer rims just isn't 100% true. I suspect if most took a close look at their wheels they would see this.

Thanks again DanD for all your help!

Edited by scugog

Thanks for the update, good info to know.

No problem. I actually found some Aluminum rims on sale today at a good price...those would probably be better as they are cast instead of stamp/welded. Oh well they are working well now. :thumbsup_anim:

I know you’ve worked at getting this rim thing figured out; but like I told you the other day. Go get a set of mud flaps and I’ll hang them on the front of the fenders; that's so you can’t see the tires & rims in your mirrors and you’re good to go. :sarcasm:

The one's we hung on there last night will be fine; now go fishing. :thumbsup_anim:

Dan.