LAKE KENOGAMISSI

erieeye

I would like to say Hi to everyone< Im a new member, If anyone wants info on erie pa I'd be glad to help. That said, I was wondering if anybody has any info on fishing Lake Kenogamissi, Very hard lake to find any info on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ERIEEYE :dunno: P.S. It is located in Timmons Ontario off of highway144.

Edited by erieeye

Up there it's called Kenogamissi Lake and not Lake Kenogamissi. It's basically a man made lake created by the OPG dam at Wawaitin ( pronounced Way-way-at-in by the locals) Falls. With the exception of the area by the dam, it's about a 25 mile long narrow North-South running lake with a nasty reputation when the wind is out of the North. There are lots of cottages on it and one major camp ground on it that is accessed off Hwy 144 at a bay called The Cache ( pronounced "Cash")

It's fished pretty heavy but still has a pretty good reputation for pike and pickerel (walleye).

There is also another control dam with no generating capacity at the South end of the lake that controls the water of Mattagami Lake above it. They are part of the Mattagami River system that flows into Timmins. There was a recent article on that portion of the river in the Ontario Out of Doors Magazine. Knowing the area somewhat, I thought the article was kinda superfluous. There used to be one or two outfitters on Kenogamissi but I'm not sure if they're still in business.

Perhaps the two other members referenced by an earlier poster can shed more light on the current fishing situation. I haven't fished it in years.

Thanks Tootsie, do you know when these members will be on the board?I heard its a pretty good walleye lake. A freind offered me a trip up anytime just wanting to know when the best time of year to go up for fishin. Can I avoid the black flies or not. If ice season is better? questions of the sort .Thanks for your reply!

And Bryce Info any time you want it, Erie is walleye capitol of the world, And a fishermans paradise,But its nice to go elsewhere sometimes.

THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLYED! ERIEEYE...

Hi erieeye, I live in Timmins and fish kenogamissi about 3-4 times a week in the summer. What kind of info would you like to Know? The lake is about 25 miles long and about 2 miles wide at its widest part. You can catch walleyes in the shallows or in the deep water. There are a lot of sand shoals and humps but not to much rock piles. I like to use crawlers and leeches mostly pulling spinners and bouncers. The lake isn't fished that hard anymore for the amount of cotteges and being close to town. The average walleye is about 16" - 19". Jigging and rigging also works well, but colour is important. If you know how to contour troll leadcore you will pick up some bigger eyes and some nice pike also. If you need anymore info just let me know and I will be glad to help you out.