Trailer Bearings?

musky66

I need to get my trailer bearings repacked. I have pulled the hubs myself before but couldn't figure out how to access the rear bearings. Seemed they were held in with a seal or retaining ring? I wasn't sure if is was an item requiring removal and replacement or not, or if there was another way to remove/repack/replace the rear bearing?

What I do is remove the cotter pin, nut and flat washer then remove the outer bearing.Then screw just the nut back on.Pulling towards you on the hub at a slight angle use the nut on the stub shaft to pull out the inner bearing and seal.This method should not damage the seal.Clean the bearings then inspect them repack or replace as needed.

There should be a seal on there that can be tapped out along with the bearing from the front end....carefully. I would suggest replacing them as you go as once they are removed they could be bent and damaged. I have done it myself and reused them but if you not sure what your doing it might be tricky to get it out undamaged.

If your going to do the job I would replace both bearings and seal for the money and peace of mind you'll get from knowing you have new ones there when on the road, but if you do just want the seals they can be bought. Just do a good inspection of the bearings for pitting and corrosion before you repack them.

Good Luck

If you use the method Percher recommended be careful you can damage pieces, it does work just be diligent. As Smokey said I too would recommend replacing the seals after removal they are very inexpensive. If you decide to replace the bearings keep the old set with the tools you carry when your trailering as back-up in case of an emergency failure. If you have never done it before have some one who has show you how to properly repack the bearings or do some searching on the net for a tutorial.

Edited by taper

I tap mine out from the front using a block of wood and a rubber mallet, set the hub level on a couple pieces of wood. The opening on the front is bigger than the back bearing as long as the wood will fit in the whole in front it should push the rear bearing and seal out. I clean them with a cheap brush and kerosene, it isn`t as flammable as gasoline. Diesel fuel won`t work.

There is a method to packing the bearings with grease, put a dab of grease in the palm of your hand, with the other hand force the seam of the bearing race down on it until it squeezes thru the bearings and out the front edge.