Trolling Larger Lures

It's been a while since I bought any new equipment for myself and feel I deserve some! I currently have 3 medium rods 6'6 with accompanying reels (2 have power pro, 1 has pline fluro/mono) and a couple ultralights with smaller appropriate reels...with different line combo's etc they cover most of the fishing I do with great success and ease. The one and only problem area I come up against is when I'm trolling larger pike/musky lures. I don't really know how to explain it but it just feels off with my 6'6 medium rod and reels...it feels like there is a lot of strain on the outfit itself and it just doesn't feel comfortable.

What type of setup would you suggest in terms of rod action and length, reel, line etc. to troll these larger/heavier lures a bit easier? I can't really justify spending the money for anything top of the line at the moment but do have a bit of $ to play with.

Thanks guys

for a reel I have gone with all Okuma convectors 30D Line counters they can handle the job of hauling around large musky sized lures all day and they will not break the bank.

For your rod you want something with a heavy back bone but a softer tip. I use a Ugly stick catfish rod for my trolling rods and they are great they are 7' MH my biggest musky was 52" and I have a lot of other big fish that have been landed with these rods they hold my legend plow,Woodie bottom feeder, and double 10's with no problems at all.

Most people think I am weird using a catfish rod for musky but when they are out fishing with me they see that they have wasted $150 for a rod just to troll. I am not saying they are for everyone but this is a great setup for trolling alone.

For braid line I have 65 PP and 80 Hi seas

For musky trolling I like 600 series Tekotas with line counters and 7'6" heavy Compres spooled with 100# Power Pro & 130# Seaguar fluoro leaders.

It's a bit more $$$$ than Mikes talking about but it's a set-up that I like.

chances are you are going to be using the rod for more than just trolling. Yes it may be the main purpose of the rod, but you mine as well get a rod you can troll and cast with.

I would recommend a 7'6 Heavy action compre as well, they are great rods and very durable. Pair that up with a abu garcia C3 or if you have the coin a revo toro and your golden.

For reels the 600 series Tekotas are great rods for big baits like plows Frankys the 8' St croix H the musky/cat rod has glass in can take a pounding smaller baits the TDR heavy for the price are great. Okuma does make a nice reel. Trolling rods you want a it to have some glass in it, take the pounding better but not so good for casting. And if your hard core your trolling rod should match the size of bait your using. Too heavey and smaller baits could be ripped out befor you get to the rod, to light and no back bone to drive the hooks in.

Edited by Walshskie

If you are targetting musky you should invest in all the proper equipment, rods, reels, landing equipment and release gear. Otherwise you are probably going to harm the fish. I would argue that landing musky with medium action rods would put undue stress on them.