Winnipeg River / Kenora Fishing

rufus

I got out fishing on the Winnipeg River north of Kenora for a few days last week with a friend whom I first went fishing with over 40 years ago. We had a great time! The Walleye fishing was terrific. We caught walleye as shallow as three feet and as deep as 40 feet and all levels in between. Most productive was the 25 to 30 foot level at the bottom of points and rock piles. Fishing was good below the Norman Dam by Perch Bay but we did venture as far north as The Dalles.

Boat control in the current and wind, fighting fish, and snags kept me too busy to take videos or pictures although we did get a picture of the first fish caught.

walleye_june13.jpg

Pike and smallie fishing was slower than usual. The average size of the pike was smaller than usual which was quite concerning as it was actually the smallest average size I have ever seen. Since lots of small pike means fewer big pike have been eating them - I suspect that catching big pike will be a rare event this year.

Also concerning to me was the first algae bloom of the season. The water level dropped a few inches while we were there and exposed the shoreline rocks coated in green. A decade ago there was no such thing as algae blooms but in recent years they have become common beginning later in July. This year's early bloom is not a good sign.

Nice fish for that spot. I've been catching there between 12-22fow. So far we put in a lot of hours between anything over 20"...but alots of action and stretches youre gas budget.

Look forward to hitting the river again later this week...heading downstream in search of the toothy critters.

lots of action and stretches youre gas budget.

Tell me about it - 130 litres of premium last week - buy your gas in Winnipeg as it is about 20 cents cheaper than Kenora right now!

I believe it was on Thursday they reduced the flow from the Norman Dam which dropped the level almost immediately. Further reductions are planned so things may be different by the time you get there :)

I fished Dorothy a few times as a kid visiting a neighbours cottage. The favorite "Pickerel" lure in those days was a yellow Helin's Flatfish with red spots. In those days they had 4 treble hooks on them so we didn't lose too many fish :)

I love fishing that system.

A freind of mine has a nice place on Muriel Lake and I have spent some time fishing the area. :thumbsup_anim:

Muriel Lake used to be legendary decades ago. My parents honeymooned there and my dad often talked about the huge fish in Muriel Lake. I dreamed of going there some day!

By the time I got to fish there the big ones were pretty scarce but can still be found a very short boat ride away!

I believe it was on Thursday they reduced the flow from the Norman Dam which dropped the level almost immediately. Further reductions are planned so things may be different by the time you get there :)

Thanks...might wait another few days to let things settle down a bit then, lots of lake to fish in the meantime.

Good luck on the water.

Muriel Lake used to be legendary decades ago. My parents honeymooned there and my dad often talked about the huge fish in Muriel Lake. I dreamed of going there some day!

By the time I got to fish there the big ones were pretty scarce but can still be found a very short boat ride away!

I haven't fished there in a few years but my buddy has told me the new slot limits are really starting to help the fishery. He told me that the fishery was going down hill for a long time before the MNR finally instituted the slot and he worried that it was too late, but it seems to be helping quite nicely.

I agree - the slot limits have really helped the Walleye fishery in the system. There has been a loss of habitat over the last decade or so however as deep weed beds have all disappeared due to reduced water clarity from algae. Some areas that used to hold fish are now barren.

Cinammon buns in Prawda!! Every time we went through, we made a pit stop on the Winnipeg bound run. Gas is definitely cheaper in the 'Peg. Better when you shop at Safeway. I'm missing the in-laws cottage on LOTW. The pickeral in Bigstone Bay are safe this summer.