Bear's Den Lodge

I was there 2 yrs ago? maybe 3. Fantastic place, had tonnes of fun and enjoyed the lodge and all it's history. The service we got was second to none.

There is plenty of good water accessible to choose from in that general area with great fishing.

Scenery is fantastic, what more can I say, I'll go back again.

There are some hazards but with caution, you'll be ok. No one from our group had any issues.

Hope this helps

I've seen the Fish TV guys have filmed a show or 2 up there at that specific resort. I've seen the episodes on TV as well. It might be worth checking out their website because I know you can watch video clips from the TV shows, if not entire episodes. If you can find the right one, they do give a few tips/tricks on the area.

The show I saw of them at Bears Den lodge was them fishing for largemout bass, and they seemed big (at least the one's they showed on tv anyways) whistling.gif

I used to go there back in the early 90's. Art and Brenda Barefoot winter not more than 45 minutes from where we live. We went back for quite a few years before moving along and I would go back. However, they adopted a no-pet policy and that keeps us from going back.

Launch at Hartley Bay Marina and just a short boat ride, maybe a mile, down river, and they sit back in a nice sheltered little bay. Nice lodge with a pool table, movie selection, wide-screen TV (at least they did have). Really nice place.

Most of the fishing we did was down an Wanapitae (spelling ?) Bay. The biggest pike I ever caught was caught there. Just boat on down from the lodge and you'll come to a series of parallel islands. I would fish down between them, in the weed beds. In between these islands is where we boated 2 37" pike. Take a right back around here and head back towards Frazier Bay - good pike back there too. BUT - YOU MUST BE very careful going back through here - very rocky. This was back inthe day when spoons were very popular and we used them a lot. Would be fun to try out the new baits to see what would bite. Lots of fish species to choose from.

I think you'd have a great time there.

• 2 years later...

No experience with Bears Den, but I love that part of the river. Very scenic with good fishing.

FWIW if anyone's interested in a trip to the upper French, specifically to Chaudiere Lodge, drop me a line. I can help with the booking and can pretty much guarantee you a good rate.

Been talking with the owner Steve Niedzwiecki recently and he's been great to deal with. Absolute first class operation as well.

No experience with Bears Den, but I love that part of the river. Very scenic with good fishing.

FWIW if anyone's interested in a trip to the upper French, specifically to Chaudiere Lodge, drop me a line. I can help with the booking and can pretty much guarantee you a good rate.

Been talking with the owner Steve Niedzwiecki recently and he's been great to deal with. Absolute first class operation as well.

Second that! Spent a week at Chaudiere two years ago, great place, Steve is a great host.

• 2 weeks later...