WInd Direction

skdds

..Hi guys,

Does wind direction play a big part in how fish respond?. I'm hopefully heading to GB area next week and was told that the fishing has been hard (walleye mostly) because of many days of Easterly winds. I think the forcast shows south winds early this week changing to light NE winds next weekend..is this important? Suggestions to improve the odds? don't want to drive there to get skunked!..thanks skdds

..Hi guys,

Does wind direction play a big part in how fish respond?. I'm hopefully heading to GB area next week and was told that the fishing has been hard (walleye mostly) because of many days of Easterly winds. I think the forcast shows south winds early this week changing to light NE winds next weekend..is this important? Suggestions to improve the odds? don't want to drive there to get skunked!..thanks skdds

saying i was told once....dont know if its true ......but....'winds from the east.. fishing is least....winds from the west..fishing is best

Winds from the east.... they bite the least

Winds from the south.... put it in their mouths

Winds from the ouest.... is at it's best

Winds from the north.... :dunno:

Leechman

...Heard these too, I was hoping it was bad Joke!..So what do you do this East/North wind conditions??

Wind direction isn't the issue. Wind direction consistancy is. It's all about high and low pressure systems. Since we normally get westerly winds, easterly winds mean that a big barometric pressure change has happened, which is not good. On the other hand, if the winds blow from the east for a few days you could expect the bite to pick up. But that rarely happens. Fish only seem to bite best with winds from the west is because it is our normal and most consistant weather pattern. It all about barometric pressure. Not wind direction.

...Heard these too, I was hoping it was bad Joke!..So what do you do this East/North wind conditions??

Sorry just couldn't resist :) those are old sayings... doesn't matter to me which direction the wind is.... any day fishing is better than a day at the office and catching fish is bonus :)

Many bad days on Lake O for salmon during east winds convinced me to just stay home when they were from that direction. I've had mediocre days fishing the streams for trout during east winds, but still go as it's far better than staying home.

It really is all about the weather pattern changes that affect the fish the most, IMO.

Give me three days of SW winds, and a good day will be had for sure on the 4th day.

Wind direction isn't the issue. Wind direction consistancy is. It's all about high and low pressure systems. Since we normally get westerly winds, easterly winds mean that a big barometric pressure change has happened, which is not good. On the other hand, if the winds blow from the east for a few days you could expect the bite to pick up. But that rarely happens. Fish only seem to bite best with winds from the west is because it is our normal and most consistant weather pattern. It all about barometric pressure. Not wind direction.

Exactly correct. The wind is only a sign of what is really happening. Same with cold fronts and warm fronts. They are just a tell. Usually a cold front is associated with high pressure. Blue clear skies are associated with high pressure as well. Warm fronts are associated with a dropping barometer so the fishing can be great leading up to a warm storm but then shuts down as the inconsistent weather comes in. They are just general rules of thumb and can be dead wrong. I always look at the barometer. The barometer never lies.

..Hi guys,

I had a place in the Kawarthas and fished a spot for walleye that always produced.

When it was a light east wind for days on end the fish did get lockjaw. Only some rock bass would bite. :lol:

In the fall the wind quite often would be strong NE and the muskies would still be active.

Trolling for muskies or pike would probably be good still. If you don't go; you defintely wont't catch.

Edited by ehg

quite honestly there are tales to prove any one given wind direction is better or worse then the other ...but the bottom line is ..."if ya dont go ....ya wont know"...

Ive had steller days of fishing on the lakes and in the river in every given wind direction possible...ive also had no fish days in any given wind direction (fortunatley this doesn't happen very often for me)but i can guarantee you will not catch a fish sitting on your couch as opposed to sitting in your boat or on the river bank B)

DONT EXPECT to catch fish ....and you will never be disappointed

Cheers!!

Edited by Twocoda

If you want to increase your odds by following the stars, pay more attention to the solunar tables rather than the wind charts. They both work, but the solunar tables are a constant and dont change. Something like 80% of world record fish have been caught within a few days before or after a new or full moon. I forget the exact figure. It's been a decade or more since I read that article. But that fact alone should make you think a little if you are using stats to increase your odds.

Exactly correct. The wind is only a sign of what is really happening. Same with cold fronts and warm fronts. They are just a tell. Usually a cold front is associated with high pressure. Blue clear skies are associated with high pressure as well. Warm fronts are associated with a dropping barometer so the fishing can be great leading up to a warm storm but then shuts down as the inconsistent weather comes in. They are just general rules of thumb and can be dead wrong. I always look at the barometer. The barometer never lies.

Thanks for the info, I can understand that point very well! Still better than not trying though!-skdds