Nipssing Report

Mike01

Headed out to do some fishing on Friday, unfortunately a friendly muskrat has chewed through my transducer wire so it made it a little difficult to fish the humps so we decided to give Callander Bay a try. Got one slot walleye on a jig and worm out of about 20' and two drum, which surprisingly didn't put up their usual tussle :(

Not the best day but its always nice to get out on the lake.

Most of the cottage rentals in callander area rent boats, don't forget you need a pleasure craft operators card. As far as I know there are basically no shore fishing opportunities in that area.

Yes Mike.. I've seen some of the rental camps stating it as a requirement to rent their boats. I don't understand that tact as it doesn't change the fact that they rented the customer a boat and they're only cutting their own throats by scaring off new customers.

The boater's exam, compared to a driving license's exam, is a joke. I remember we were taking the test as a group and we were all sharing our answers. I wonder if there was anyone who's failed this test. I mean, even if you get the answer wrong, there's someone to help you to correct the answer. Lol.

I'll be sure to bring my boater's card with me, just in case.

I just got back from a week on the Upper French/Nipissing. I was fishing for pike but also caught three walleye on spinner baits. I caught the walleye off the West end of Sandy Island earlier in the week. I fished the same area again on Friday after a two day blow. The water, which was very clear earlier in the week, was muddy and debre filled from the wind & waves. I only spent a half hour there on Friday with very little action.

Good week overall. I caught 3 accidental muskies and heard of two others being caught. I also heard of a 43" pike being caught out of Twilight Bay (Off the French). The pike fishing was good.

My thoughts on the boat operator test is that it is a gigantic waste of time and is an unneccessary burden on the tourist. What's next, a swim test before being allowed on a beach? With the cost of travel skyrocketing, the powers to be would be wise to drop this test.

Edited by pick

I just got back from a week on the Upper French/Nipissing. I was fishing for pike but also caught three walleye on spinner baits. I caught the walleye off the West end of Sandy Island earlier in the week. I fished the same area again on Friday after a two day blow. The water, which was very clear earlier in the week, was muddy and debre filled from the wind & waves. I only spent a half hour there on Friday with very little action.

Good week overall. I caught 3 accidental muskies and heard of two others being caught. I also heard of a 43" pike being caught out of Twilight Bay (Off the French). The pike fishing was good.

My thoughts on the boat operator test is that it is a gigantic waste of time and is an unneccessary burden on the tourist. What's next, a swim test before being allowed on a beach? With the cost of travel skyrocketing, the powers to be would be wise to drop this test.

Great report Pick. My buddies were slaying the walleye in the upper French this week. 15 keepers in the 2 outings. (2 guys). Most keepers were just below the 40cm slot restriction. They were in just a bit fatrher then Canoe Pass.