Musky opener-Weeds or Wood?

Weeds

Hi all. Like alot of you I'm chomping at the bit to get out on the opener. I haven't spent much time in the boat yet this season, last time I was out about 3 weeks back (fishing for walleye)I saw very little in the way of weeds/weed beds. I'll probably be fishing on Chemong again, last time out I came across some nice stump fields and shallow bays with a lot of submerged wood. I also located some areas that are now likely to be producing decent weed growth. Anybody have much luck/success fishing the timber for early season musky or would I be better off concentating more on weed beds. Rocky shoals? Any way to keep the bass at bay besides supersizing? Thanks.

Well I fished the Ottawa river last year on that opener and the hightest concentration of musky I found was in a shallow bay on the inside line of a weedbed and it was full of stumps... The fish were holding tight to the wood that day...

But if you find GOOD weeds... I would concentrate on that...

Also depending on whether your

water is cold or warm and weather that day... Cold water and sunny= rocks ...and so on...

Edited by Musky Mike

Seen 2 pairs of spawning fish a week ago, early in the year muskies are notorious for having a real liking to reeds, I would fish those, and then fish both wood and weed flats as well, working my way to the weed edge, chemong is also a great lake for inside weed edges, which are often over-looked by anglers, start shallow and work your way out to deeper water