Shimano Warranty change

jedimaster

Well I broke one of my compres a few weeks ago hooking into a musky that was disguised as a crappie. I headed down to Aikmans from newmarket, and when I got there he said that shimano changed there policy. No more rod warranties unless you mail them into Peterborough. He was obviously not happy about this. Neither was I. Did I miss this change or what? I called up the head office and the guy said they changed there policy because too many people were getting rods replaced that shouldn't have. So they want them all returned to the head office to be inspected before they will be replaced.

Anyway this is a big change in my eyes. I am not happy about this. Maybe cause I spend 20 bucks in gas and now need to spend another 15 in shiping.

Just thought I would rant.

Boo shimano.... and if this was already posted boo on me.

I raised this exact requirement in this weeks "broke my rod, have no receipt, what do I do" thread!

At least 2 years.. it might be 3 since Brian at Fishing Depot told me they couldn't do over the counter anymore. Gotta be at least that long, I can't remember when I was in there last..

Not over the counter. Aikmans used to be a repair facility where you could go and bring your broken rod and he would replace it. You couldn't do that at most stores for a long time. He said he just got the notification in December from some new pinhead accountant.

I raised this exact requirement in this weeks "broke my rod, have no receipt, what do I do" thread!

At least 2 years.. it might be 3 since Brian at Fishing Depot told me they couldn't do over the counter anymore. Gotta be at least that long, I can't remember when I was in there last..

I'm honestly not surprised by this. Warrenty is the manufactures decission, not the retailer. By doing this it will help keep the cost of the rods from sky rocketing in price even more because of the abuse. ultimately everyone who buys shimano pays for that free one.

Most companies do it this way, or you can take it to where you purchased it to your retailer and they will send it for you (not sure on the Shimano). Oakley is another example of putting an end to their lifetime warrenty about 9 years ago. I'm bored of the style, ooops I sat on my glasses, warrenty.

I'm honestly not surprised by this. Warrenty is the manufactures decission, not the retailer. By doing this it will help keep the cost of the rods from sky rocketing in price even more because of the abuse. ultimately everyone who buys shimano pays for that free one.

Most companies do it this way, or you can take it to where you purchased it to your retailer and they will send it for you (not sure on the Shimano). Oakley is another example of putting an end to their lifetime warrenty about 9 years ago. I'm bored of the style, ooops I sat on my glasses, warrenty.

well said X2

Art