First trip of the season

g_clot

Went up this past weekend to the fiancee's families place which is located at the narrow where Moon River and Woods Bay connect. The boat wasn't operable yet so we rented from a lake mainstay and class act Mr. G Grisdale.

Didn't get out until 9am on Sat and fished only 2.5 hours in warm, sunny and calm conditions. The two of us netted 4 pike in total, 2 at 29" and two hammerhandles. The catches were split between the two and were caught using Silver/Orange belly Long-A Bomber and a Blue/Silver/Orange belly Rapala HJ-14. They made for good eatin'. The bellies contained primarily frogs and sunfish.

Sunday the weather changed minute to minute, from sunny to rain, to wind. It was a mental mess trying to find a pattern. Fished about 5 hours in total split between morning and evening. We tallied 4 pike (all between 19-24") and a SM. 3 of the pike and the SM were caught using the Long-A Bomber noted earlier and the last pike on a gold size 9 X-Rap. We had lots of follows that never panned out using crappie shaped swimbaits and Slug-O's. Day two catches were sent back into depths unscathed.

Monday we had 3 morning hours to work with after early thunder showers. It was calm at first then we were hammered by rain. No bounty on this trip but good times were had. We went back to our productive bays from the first two days and probably should have searched for new grounds instead.

All weekend catches but one came from two sheltered bays in the Upper Moon Channel in less than 5 FOW.

According to a few resorts nearby it was a tough weekend for most, and the quantity of 'quality' catches is definately on the decline. There's also been an increase in boat traffic these last few years which isn't helping either.

All in all, a successful opener for us. Now that the family long weekend obligations are looked after, it's a grueling gentleman's extra-long weekend part deux in Nosbonsing coming up in 3 days!

Copy of iPhone 4 118.jpg

Copy of iPhone 4 116.jpg

Hey Rigged,

We were at the cottage on the Moon this past weekend as well....

Same results as you, just pike, one smallmouth. Was targetting walleye HARD with worm harnesses trolled very slow but NOTHING.

Had a real hard time finding walleye, baitfish, and weeds

James Grisdale is da man!

Hey Rigged,

We were at the cottage on the Moon this past weekend as well....

Same results as you, just pike, one smallmouth. Was targetting walleye HARD with worm harnesses trolled very slow but NOTHING.

Had a real hard time finding walleye, baitfish, and weeds

James Grisdale is da man!

We've tried targeting walleyes there only a few times with no luck. The only thing electronic on our boat is the ignition, so pike and bass are our best bet. If you have any tips in terms of locations I think we'd give it another shot.

It was actually George Grisdale we rented from.... they're both da man! You wouldn't happen to know Sam O'Meir there would ya? He's my fiancee's father-in-law with the cottage and he lives there all summer long.

We've tried targeting walleyes there only a few times with no luck. The only thing electronic on our boat is the ignition, so pike and bass are our best bet. If you have any tips in terms of locations I think we'd give it another shot.

It was actually George Grisdale we rented from.... they're both da man! You wouldn't happen to know Sam O'Meir there would ya? He's my fiancee's father-in-law with the cottage and he lives there all summer long.

I havent had much luck at all targeting 'eyes in the Moon. This year I've made it my goal to try and put together some kind of pattern that works. There is promising sturcture ALL OVER, just no walleye! LOL

I'd spend most my time working the waters just outside of Captain Allan Strait around Iron City Bay. But your guess is as good as mine! I'd assume that they are slowly working there way back from the falls right about now and I'd ASSUME that a lot of traffic would be heading back out through the straight to bigger water...

I'm not familiar with Sam, I parked at WoodsBay Marina and had car trouble, James was a HUGE help.

The Moon is my favourite spot in Ontario, I'm determined to find the 'eyes as they were there many "moons" ago :rolleyes: